Sabot slug?

Rampant_Colt

You may, but accuracy will terrible and the bullet will yaw after only a few feet.

Stick with Foster-style rifled slugs for smoothbore shotguns. Not sabots

ps - please define what Mossberg's 'standard' barrel is...

flight954

I bought Mossberg 500 pump shotgun w/ a smooth bore barrel and saw these shells at Gander Mtn. I want to know if I need to get a slug barrel to use the Sabot shells.

mikenbarb

Sabot type slugs are encased in a 2 pc. plastic sabot or a 1 piece cup. Most sabot slugs are hourglass shapped lead bullets and around it is the sabot. The purpose of the sabot is to grab the rifling in the barrel to give it the spin you need for accuracy. After the slug leaves the barrel the sabot falls away from the slug. Most foster type slugs are full sized lead slugs with rifling molded into them to get the spinning effect. They are less accurate due to barrel slop between the slug and bore surface versus the sabot type that takes up the slop when fired and the sabot expands a little to grab the rifling in the barrel. Theres no harm to be done firing a sabot out of a smoothbore but you better have a good plastic solvent to get the fouling out after you shoot them because your bore will have plastic fouling from one end to the other. [)(] < Sabot slug shape(KINDA) Cant do pics so thats the best I can do. LOL [ )( ] < After its fired (Hmmm)

mikenbarb

Slugster is a smoothbore. You want a rifled barrel to shoot sabots accurately. Regular slugs are alot cheaper but have 1/3 the range and accuracy of a sabot after 100 yds. I know with my Rem 1100 with a fully rifled cantilever Badger barrel I can shoot Hornady SST sabots out to 200 yds and kill a deer. With my Mossberg 500 with a 24" factory smoothbore slugster barrel im good out to 100 yds with Federal Truball slugs and thats pushing it. Both guns have a good scope on them also.

mikenbarb

Also, They have rifled choke tubes for barrels with screw in chokes. Their not as good as a rifled barrel but they work. You will also have to see if its legal in your state if they require adjustable rifle sights or scope to hunt with slugs or not. If they do then you could get a saddle mount and put a scope on it or rifle sights that install on your vent rib.

mellow_c

Just use Rifled slugs

You have a smooth bore barrel. Just use Rifled slugs. Thats what I do. They shoot fine, and plenty accurate. I dont hunt with them, just shoot them for fun some times. I usually buy the Winchester gray box ones from walmart. Last I checked they were under $4 for a box of 5, but they may have gone up. I would never use a sabot slug in my smooth bore. Just use rifled slugs.

lon371

I would suggest you try Brenneke KO elcheapo slugs. I have used them for several years, with great success. I have a Mossberg 500 12, with a full length smooth bore. I have not lost a deer that I have shot and hit. But all my shots have been under 75 yards.

My second suggestion, determine your range. Look at the area you will hunt, decide how far you think your shots will be. Be realistic. If you hunt a heavy wooded area you will probably not get a 200 yard shot.

If you are hunting where you will get long range shots. Check into a rifled barrel. The range is better. The accuracy is better. Cantilever style barrels(scope mount made on the barrel) appear to be the best. Don't buy a used barrel, unless you trust the person. I have gave 3 away. All 3 were suppose to be like new(NOT) I tried several Brands of ammo, with no luck. I went back to my smoothy.

Try several (more than a couple) brands. They are most likely to shoot different from one brand to the next.

Have fun and good luck.

Keep us posted on how it works out.

Lonny