SA vs DA in CZ 97

L. Boscoe

A lot of folks who shoot bullseye for 45acp have had their CZ97's
converted to SA, stating that that improves the trigger function.
How does that work? I am told by my gunsmith that it should not
make any difference. He did a trigger job on my Sig 220 and it is
perfect, still retaining DA, which I don't use, so I am curious.:cool:

44 AMP

Staff
Look at what is not being said.

"improved the trigger function..." ok, compared to what??? straight stock out of the box??

Next point, and the one your gunsmith was probably referring to, converting to SA only.....do you think that is the ONLY thing they're having done? How likely is that? particularly if the people you're talking to are shooting bullseye matches.

Do you think they're taking their gun to a smith and telling him, "please disconnect the DA function but don't do anything to the stock SA trigger pull??

How much more likely is it that they're paying for a trigger job, that includes disconnecting the DA function? and just not pointing that out when they brag about their gun's "new" SA only trigger??

I think, very likely...;)

reynolds357

A lot of folks who shoot bullseye for 45acp have had their CZ97's
converted to SA, stating that that improves the trigger function.
How does that work? I am told by my gunsmith that it should not
make any difference. He did a trigger job on my Sig 220 and it is
perfect, still retaining DA, which I don't use, so I am curious.:cool:
I have shot CZ 75 Single actions that had triggers that would rival the best 1911 triggers. A double action trigger can't match a single on weight and travel.

L. Boscoe

SAvs DA inCZ 97

ok, maybe I did not state the question properly: here's the question: Is there any reason to convert to SA only if the trigger
"job" give a really great crisp glass breaking pull and the DA function is unchanged?
From what the last poster said, I suspect it is length of pull, as I happen to own a CZ Shadow 2 SA only, and it has no movement before breaking, and the pull happens to be 2.0#, which requires the shooter to pay serious attention.
Is that the answer?

reynolds357

ok, maybe I did not state the question properly: here's the question: Is there any reason to convert to SA only if the trigger
"job" give a really great crisp glass breaking pull and the DA function is unchanged?
From what the last poster said, I suspect it is length of pull, as I happen to own a CZ Shadow 2 SA only, and it has no movement before breaking, and the pull happens to be 2.0#, which requires the shooter to pay serious attention.
Is that the answer?
Yep. LOP and weight. That trigger can be tuned to around 10 ounces.

chris in va

Mine broke two barrels, two barrel bushings and now a cracked slide.

But to answer your question converting to SAO does make a world of difference, especially if you replace the stock sear with a tuned one that eliminates the camming.

sevt_chevelle

You can make a 97 have the same trigger pull/feel as that shadow 2.

To make a CZ a SAO, you simply remove the disco and add the SA trigger shoe.

Other than removing some trigger travel, your trigger will feel the same.

To get the most out of it and retain the fpb, add the short reset, adjustable sear and hammer.
The hammer on CZ is what causes the camming, not the sear.
The adjustable sear from CGW has the same factory dimensions, the adjustable part is too remove the need to fit the sear/safety engagement.

If you want that shadow 2 SA feel, remove the fpb, get pre B or shadow sear or CGW sear with spacer and new race hammer.

L. Boscoe

Sa vs da in cz97

Thanks a lot Chev
I am a bit irritated that the dudes at CGW don't offer this in some detail. I was a serious shooter 35 years ago, just got back into it
last year, had no clue about gunsmithing, shot only Gold Cup and
an HK.
The feel and shooting quality of the Shadow does make it a winner,
and things like removing the fpb and such were totally unknown to me.
I have asked the dudes at CGW to send the parts.:cool:

Nathan

In CZ’s, converting to SAO allows you to modify the trigger shape/angle to be more comfortable. Keeping DA usable, requires keeping something close to the original trigger shape.

Of course, a neutral hammer/sear engagement and some polishing really slicks things up!

They say removing the Firing pin safety is a big benefit. I found that not true. I found polishing it helped.