SA Revolver holster recommendations

btmj

I am looking for some recommendations for a good belt-holster rig for a Ruger New Vaqero. I have no real experience in SA revolver holsters.

Just looking at websites, it looks like El Paso Saddlery makes some appealing stuff. It seems like $250 -$350 will buy a nice rig.

Leather Creek holsters also looks pretty nice

Bianchi makes a nice looking line of SA revolver holsters... Bianchi use to be top drawer in law enforcement leather (maybe they still are ?)

But honestly, it is hard to judge a holster by a website. I am interested in opinions.

Thanks

Poindexter

Depends on where on your belt you want it.

I carry a New Vaquero in 45 Colt as my primary CCW now that the bears have gone to bed for the winter. Come spring melt I'll have to get the redhawk back out.

If you are looking at drop rigs, with the butt of the pistol below the belt holding your pants up, I can't help you. Lots of good names out there in cowboy style rigs and by all accounts El Paso saddlery is one of them - I don't own any of their stuff.

If you want the butt of your New Vaquero above the edge of the belt holding your pants up, I know of two options worthy of consideration.

1. simplyrugged.com very well made stuff, I have the pancake style for my Redhawk. You can have it when you pry my cold dead fingers...

2. wander on over to mernickleholsters.com also before you buy. I got my PSA-6 in yesterday, followed the break in instructions and got to strap it on about three hours ago. If this thing lasts two years it will have been worth the money, if it lasts five years I have a great holster on my belt.

attachment.php

Best of luck to you.

Attachments

• mernickleone.JPG
    mernickleone.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 190

Garycw

It would be a good idea to go to a well stocked gun shop(s) and try them. I must be really old school though. For me to pay $350 for a holster it'd have to be mink lined with 24 carat rivets.

H.W. French

EPS fanboy

If you're looking for a classic western rig then El Paso gets my vote (and my money). I've had traditional style holsters made by them for SA's, 1911's, and C&B's. Their 1880 is my go to, but I also got a Cheyenne rig for the wife. In my opinion they are a very good value for the price and quality. Be prepared to wait 8-12 weeks though. I've never had to wait longer than 8-9 weeks and once got one in 4 weeks! If you get on their email they send out deals every now and then. The last one was 15% off for Veterans Day but it expired Sunday. Yep, they suckered me in with that one. I've had various other brands as well but always end up going back. Regardless of who you go with there will likely be a wait if it's custom.

zuludon

great holster maker

after much looking I lorded a double Hollywood fast draw from David at oldtownleathers on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Tooled...04962022?pt=US_Holsters&hash=item4ac94ec2e6.i received them at 9 weeks and I am thrilled at the high quality of his hand work . worth twice the price. i travel central Texas 5 days a week and have shown them off at many gun stores and many times the staff and customers' or logging in to eBay to place an order while am there.

51colt

If you are still looking for holster i have a like new Mernickle single Hollywood Western drop holster rig for SA revolver. It has 45Colt bullet loops. waist size 33-37 inches. They sell new for 329.00 asking 150.00. It is like this one http://www.mernickleholsters.com/hw/hw5.html but lighter brown and has some stitching and tooling.
Mike