SA repairs, what to send?

Casimer

I'm going to be sending my Mil Spec to SA, to have them remove a sheared rear ejector leg from the frame. They've requested that I send the entire pistol, rather than just the frame. What I'm wondering is whether I should change out some of the aftermarket parts that I've installed - to avoid having them replace, or modify, them. The specific parts that I'm concerned about are among the trigger group, and springs.

Does anyone have experience w/ SA's repair shop, and know how they handle aftermarket parts? I've read about them substituting parts, to bring a pistol to factory specs. This is something that I'd prefer that they not do. My pistol is well within normal specs, but SA's factory specs are another matter. They ship the Mil Spec with a very heavy trigger, and I don't want them changing my mainspring or any of the trigger group components.

James K

Member In Memoriam
If you have the original SA parts, I suggest reinstalling them. Otherwise, call them and tell them what you said here and say you will put in your letter that you don't want any changes to the gun except as specified by you.

It is the litigious society again. They are afraid that if they return a pistol that is out of spec, the owner will have an accident and they will be sued because they worked on the gun. ("What, me file down that sear? It must have been done by xxxx when they had the gun, so sue them!")

If you can't find the original parts and they won't honor your request to leave your parts in, you will have a decision to make. You might take the gun to a gunsmith (no warranty repair of course), or try to DIY.

Jim

Kreyzhorse

If you have the original SA parts, I suggest reinstalling them. Otherwise, call them and tell them what you said here and say you will put in your letter that you don't want any changes to the gun except as specified by you.

+1.