SA Python

zippy13

I took my neighbor and his new-to-him, fresh from the pawn shop Colt Python to the pistol range today. I've never had a problem with my .38 special reloads in S & W and Ruger revolvers nor in a S & W Model 52; however, the Python would light-up the rounds in single action operation and not in double action. Does the Python design result in a significantly stronger hammer fall in single action over double? I'm guessing the SA mode compresses the hammer spring a little more than double. Anyone else experience this problem?

publius

Never heard of that happening, if it had the strenth to fire in single action it should fire in double.

laytonj1

I had a Python that did the same thing. The previous owner had an action job done to it to reduce the double action pull. I started using softer primers when I loaded for it and that solved the problem.

Jim

Lost Sheep

An easy test

You can measure the hammer strike power directly. Or indirectly.

Put a pencil with an unused rubber eraser, eraser-end down in you Python. The Python pointed straight up with the cylinder swung out.

Pull the trigger in double action and see how high the pencil bounces.

Pull the trigger in single action and see how high the pencil bounces.

Those heights will tell you directly which hammer fall is the more energetic and by how much.

You will have to have very fast eyes to tell (or an assistant with a fast camera). I expect the difference will be small, but an sure the DA strike will be less than the SA strike. I have observed this on my primers. If you have a marginally sufficient hammer strike in single action, for sure it will be even more marginal in double action.

You could also measure how far back your hammer is when on the single action sear versus how far it comes back in double action.

Good luck

Lost Sheep

zippy13

Thanks for the heads-up, Jim and LostSheep.

Most of my guns would think the end of the world was at hand if offered new ammo -- they get a steady diet of re-loads. Anyone have any idea of what soft-primered commercial ammo I should recommend to my neighbor for his casual shooting?

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
Lost Sheep has nailed it.

Lots of people have heard if you put a screw driver in the V spring of a Colt D or I frame revolver and cock the hammer, you've just given your gun a super-duper ten-second action job.

Here are the parts most people haven't heard:

1. You're supposed to have a spare main spring on hand
  2. You're supposed to know how to disassemble the revolver and replace the spring without hashing up the guts of the revolver
  3. You're supposed to use a very thin screw driver
  4. You're supposed to be on good terms with a competent Colt revolver gunsmith, because sooner or later...

Other than that, no biggy, duuuuude!

old bear

Add this to the list

Standing Wolf, you left the most important one off your list, How to say Holy @#$%* what was I think of.

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
Standing Wolf, you left the most important one off your list, How to say Holy @#$%* what was I think of.

Aw, cut it out, old bear! You know as well as I that's always supposed to come as a complete shock. Not only are we expected to be surprised by the results of failing to read the book*, but we're expected to do the same stupid thing again and again and be surprised again and again.

All that's supposed to be a Great Secret. It's not fair of oldsters to share it with younger folks. They have to learn these things the hard way, don't they?

* The Colt Double Action Revolvers, a Shop Manual, by Jerry Kuhnhausen