SA or DA in the Taurus 24/7 Pro C?

WeedWacker

Handled one at Black Sheep and TriState outfitters. One thing stuck me as odd. On initial inspection the pistol looked like a standard DAO semiautomatic. While playing with it I noticed the trigger had a lighter travel after the slide was racked with a crisp break while afterwards since the action had not be worked it had a heavier pull to a slightly less crisp slightly mushy break. You could definitely tell there was some mechanical motion with the pull. So my question is: Is the 24/7 Pro C a DAO as the guy at Black sheep swears it is or is it some sort of strange hybrid DA/SA semiauto.

(P.S. I know the design allows for the extra pull and hammer strike in case of a FTF which the Black Sheep guy seemed I couldn't figure out on my own)

Lost Sheep

Taurus autos are different

Yep, Tauri are different. I have a PT Millenium Pro in .45 ACP.

They have no hammer. They have a striker. The mainspring in contained in the slide.

In double action mode the trigger operates to catch the striker, and pull it back, compressing the mainspring (and concidentally, the trigger return spring) before releasing it. That's how I describe the double action working.

The single action working is; The striker is already back, hung up on the sear and the trigger is pressed back against the trigger return spring (the light weight you feel) until it retracts the sear, releasing the mainspring/striker. In single action mode, then you do not compress the mainspring as you do when in double action mode.

When the slide cycles, the striker is always (suposed to be) caught on the sear. The manual safety lever does not release the striker and only serves to lock up the action.

Now comes the strange part. Undocumented in the owner's manual or anywhere else I have found is the fact that you can drop the slide (hammer) on a live round "safely", or at lease, without setting off the round in the chamber. Here's how. With the safey off (and an empty chamber), pull the slide back just enough to where the back end of the barrel starts to drop down. You will feel a slight increase in the spring tension on the slide at this point. Pull the trigger. If you have pulled the slide back too far, nothing will happen. If you have pulled the slide back too little, the slide will drop (setting off any primer in any chambered round). If you have pulled the slide back just far enough, the hammer will be released and will not have any room to "fall" but will follow the slide forward, completely at rest.

I do not know if the firing pin at this point is resting on the primer or what, nor have I actually tried it with a live round in the chamber. I am just reporting what I have observed about my gun. If you want to take the experiment furthur I suggest the next step is to try what I have described with a primed, unloaded case in the chamber. I doubt if I would ever do this with a live round in the chamber out in "the world" where an Accidental or Negligent Discharge would be embarrassing or worst. I just report the curiosity. What you do with it is your lookout.

Lost Sheep

WeedWacker

So it is a DA/SA semiauto... Just it's a SA initially and DA when you need it (failed primer).

Interesting tidbit you have there too. I also wish it had a decock which would have it actually make it on my list of pistols I want. I just don't like that trigger pull in SA. Good DA trigger pull feel though.

kirkcdl

It's a proprietary Taurus thing-a SA/DA striker fired trigger.Basically,it's like a Glock trigger when the striker is loaded,as when you chamber a round.If the first strike fails to ignite the primer,it reverts to a light DA for the "second strike" capability...

How to tell:If the words "Millenium" and "Pro" appear on the same side of the slide,it is a striker fired DAO,meaning all trigger pulls will be the same,the striker is not "pre-loaded" like a Glock.If the word "Millenium" is on one side of the slide,and the word "Pro" is on the other side,it's a SA/DA trigger,which is the newer of the two versions...

ABSOLUTELY avoid a Millenium that does not have the word "Pro" on the slide somewhere,those earlier models are where Taurus got a bad reputation,they were very problematic...These are the models that most Taurus bashers get there ammo from...