SA Milspec 1911 Range Report

Marquezj16

This is my first 1911 pistol.

Took my brand new SA Milspec to the range today. It was my Father's Day present. :D Anyhow, ammo used was Rem Shurshot 230 gr RN MC. Target was at 7 yards. Mags used were factory SA 7 rd. There were no failure of any kind after 100 rounds of Rem and 12 rounds of Hornday SD ammo.

First picture is the first 14 rounds. I was still getting use to the point of aim.

Second picture was seven shots by me to the red and seven shots by the wife on the green. I did not do so well on this one. Wife was on target as usual. I'm proud to say, yes, she is a dead on shot. :D

Third picture is Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

I did take two shots at a spinner target, 30 yards away. First shot was a hit and the second one was low. No pics for that one.

The trigger was a little stiff but steady and predictable. Recoil was not a factor. The weight will take getting used to. Overall, I am very happy with my Springfield Armory Milspec 1911.

Attachments

• SA 1911 Milspec (1).jpg
    SA 1911 Milspec (1).jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 155
  • SA 1911 Milspec (2).jpg
    SA 1911 Milspec (2).jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 138
  • SA 1911 Milspec (4).jpg
    SA 1911 Milspec (4).jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 132
Again?! Wifey is showing you up with your gun too???

lol no worries...You're still our buddy. I have myself a SA Mil-Spec also, amazing firearm....Even before I put $600 into it it was great. Take care of that gun, the XD and the wife...Or...never mind she can hold her own and save your ass too.

Keepers all around.

Pics of the guns??

Marquezj16

SA Milspec 1911 and XDm 3.8 9mm

Here they are.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

KyJim

Congratulations on the Milspec! Triggers on these sometimes get better after 200 to 300 rounds so you can look forward to that.

Smaug

Nice shooting; sounds like a great way to spend Father's day.

What did you do with your kids while you and your wife were at the range?

Regarding the stiff trigger, I was concerned about that too on my Para GI Expert. I estimate it has probably 600 rounds through it now, and it is better. Noticeably lighter.

Since it is the same class of gun, maybe you can expect something similar from yours.

Marquezj16

:DI was hoping the trigger would get better as time goes by. I'm probably gonna get some snap caps and squeeze a few every night until I'm comfortable with it.

Yeah, my wife out shoots pretty much everyone that goes to shoot with us. I just load the magazine and let her do her thing. ;)

My son is 16 and is spending the next couple of years in Europe. Lucky kid. :)

Back to the gun, I think once I get comfortable with it like my 92fs, I'll get it to shoot at least half as accurate as the gun is capable of.:D

Kreyzhorse

Congrats. I own a TRP but have always wanted a Mil-Spec or even a GI as a fun range gun. You'll get used to the trigger and your shots will tighten up with practice.

Marquezj16

2nd Day at Range

Good day at the range. Groups are tightening up. 100 rounds total, 50 rds PMC and 50 rds Hornady steel match. One failure to feed when I had one in chamber and 7 in mag using Hornady steel match ammo. First shot was good, but the next round did not load. It actually held the slide back like it was empty. I tried it again with same ammo and PMC but it did not happen again.

Paper targets at 7 yards and IPSC steel target at 25 yds. Wife was shooting mostly steel target so it was hard to tell which shots were hers and mine. Bringing spray paint next time. Trigger is still a little stiff but feels better than first day.

This is Hornady match ammo. I pulled one but feel good about the rest.

attachment.php

Range Pic 7yds to my right and 25 yards to steel target.

attachment.php

Steel Target lots of hits from wife and I.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0426.jpg
    IMAG0426.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 225
  • IMAG0431.jpg
    IMAG0431.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 216
  • IMAG0433.jpg
    IMAG0433.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 215

10mm4ever

Congrats! I have two mil-specs, one's still stock and the other was worked over by Virgil Tripp(before he stopped). They can be very accurate and reliable right out of the box and you might be shocked at what a difference a fitted bushing and barrel link can make!

MEATSAW

I gotta say that most internetters would not have admitted that they were shooting at the red target. How easy would it have been for you to have claimed the green and put the red target on your wife? You get some honesty props for that.

Are those 3-dot sights? Are they easy to see?

Marquezj16

@10mm - it already is more accurate than I am capable of shooting it. Gotta work on my skills and maybe one day shoot it to its potential.

@ Meatsaw - yes that would have been easy to say that, but that would not help my shooting ability. My wife is an awesome shot and I'm very proud of it. :D Thanks for the props.

To answer your questions, it is a three dot site and it is a low profile. Not as low as the GI (I had a problem with those sights). I can see them just fine but later on, if able, I'd like to upgrade to more visible ones.