SA M1A - Loaded or Std??

Ranger325

Pretty much decided to pick up a SA M1A and looking hard at the Loaded Model. Looking on the Springfield website I'm wondering if the differences - trigger, barrel, sights - between the Standard and Loaded are worth the increased cost. Looking at Bud's (no Loaded in stock!), it seems like a couple of hundred buck difference.
I don't see shooting matches with this gun, just some fun on the range.
Thoughts from owners appreciated. Thanks.........

Regards,

geetarman

I own a loaded M1A. Mine has the VLTOR rail and composite stock, SS barrel, match sights and target trigger.

I like mine a lot. I have shot standard M1A and I like them just fine also.

If I bought another one, and I just might, I would opt for the wood stock and black furniture. There is nothing that compares.

Either way, I think you will be happy. It is a treat to own and shoot one anytime you want.

Not having to put up with reveille any more is also part of the fun!!

Geetarman:D

Vt.birdhunter

Proud owner of a Loaded, love it.

When you consider the trigger and barrel alone, its worth the extra dough. If you are going to shoot it off a bench, you will know where the money went.

Only con I have found is difficulty chambering some 150grain ammo. Same ammo in my scout runs fine.
Most 168gr match ammo will group 1MOA, maybe a little less on a good day if Im taking it slow. You wont regret it; get the loaded.

madcratebuilder

The big thing is the NM barrel. You get a NM front sight, smaller post. NM flash suppressor is reamed, I think the SA one is cast at the reamed dimension. The rear sight is not a true NM, it is the spring/detent mod that can be done to a standard for 35-40 bucks and there is no hood. It's a standard trigger group honed to 4.5-5lbs pull, a $25 job from SA.

My non bedded NM barrel(1-2moa) does not shoot that much better than my non bedded H&R GI barrel(2-4moa) For a range toy go standard and buy more ammo. The current German surplus on the market shoots very well and it's hot stuff. If you want small groups and may compete in the future then go loaded.