SA Loaded 1911 sputters on JHP's

Texpass

Just bought a Springfield Loaded Lighweight fullsize 1911. Beautiful gun! Fit and finish is superb. The gun is very tight.

Greased it up and took it to the range yesterday. It shoots lights out, HOWEVER it did have some issues with the JHP's. I was using Winchester JHP's, didn't happen to have any others on hand. It didn't FTF all the time but every once in a while.

This is not my first rodeo with 1911's. I have a SA Milspec, S&W 1911PD, S&W Tactical and a Colt New Agent. I have no problems with any of those guns feeding JHP's. So I am a little puzzled by this one not feeding correctly everytime.

I read umpteen gillion articles last night about how NOT to polish your ramp, etc, etc. The articles I saw on mag followers were most interesting. I don't really care for the SA mags. I was using them a Kimber mag and Wilson combat. They all failed to feed on occasions.

So, the 64 dollar question. Whats up with gun? Could it be the simple fact I don't have 500 or more rounds on it yet? Round count is roughly 200 with 70 of those being JHP's. This gun is a keeper, what will make it reliable on JHP's?

Whaddayathink?

rbernie

You will need to describe the failure a bit.... Did the rounds nose down into the bottom of the feed ramp, jam with the nose up into the underside of the barrel hood, or other? First round, last round, or seemingly random?

silver-bullet

I think the key phrase you used was "the gun is very tight." In my long experience with all types of 1911's, they really do need to run about 500 rounds of ball ammo before the action smooths itself out. After that, I think your FTF's (by which I think you mean "failure to feed" not "failure to fire") will probably go away.

Another issue is the ammunition itself. Stick with hollow-points that mimic the general shape of ball ammo. Remington Golden Sabers are great in this regard (and most are pretty good; but some can be problematic due to the wide cavity---like the old Speer 200 grainers, which carried the nickname "flying ash-tray!).

KyJim

Most manufacturers don't say there is a break-in period but, in my experience some smooth out after a few rounds. Some say 300 rounds or so. In my experience, 100-200 rounds or so is enough (note: Kimber says 300 rounds or more).

When it is not feeding, what is it doing? Does the slide just need a little nudge? If so, perhaps a bit more shooting might help.

First, make sure you are using a good lubricating oil. For a tight 1911, oil is better than grease, IMHO. I would suggest Militec or Mobil 1 in either 10W-30 or 5W-30. Be liberal with the oil on the rails.

Second, you might try a different brand hollow point. Sometimes, a 1911 just doesn't like a particular kind of JHP.

There are other possible problems, including an extractor issue or feed ramp issue. If the suggestions above don't work, I would contact SA.

Texpass

All good points! FTF Fail to feed. They were mostly in the nose up category as they were trying to go into the barrel. I had one that stayed flat in the magazine. I simply pulled the slide back to get the rounds in the chamber.

Oddly enough, and I had read this elsewhere, it was never the last bullet in the magazine so we can rule that one out. It was random as far as which round would fail to load. Hardball as you might guess was OK.

The gun was lubed well and considering our heat here in Texas, this 1911 was slick. I usually use Speer in all of my guns, but I didn't have any with me because I was using less expensive JHP's. My fault there.

On another quick note here. This guide rod system is new to me. Just exactly how tight do you get when putting the old Allen wrench to the guide rod. I noticed it came loose about halfway through the session and I had to hand tighten.

azredhawk44

I don't believe in "break in periods."

Either a gun is properly tuned, or it isn't. It's very rare that there is actually a gun that has rough edges that is resolved with something as simple as a few hundred slide cycles or sear breaks.

Places to look, IMO:

#1 - Extractor. The bottom edge of an extractor of a 1911 that is expected to feed anything other than hardball (JHP or SWC) should have a light bevel to the surface. This bevel should enhance the ability of the cartridge to "pop" up under the extractor, between it and the breech face.

#2 - Magazine. The magazine should be known to be one of three types. HARDBALL or GI magazines should have long release feed lips and work best for hardball ammunition. WADCUTTER magazines should have short and straight feed lips and work best for wadcutter ammunition as long as your extractor is tuned to match. HYBRID magazines have tapered, gradual release feed lips of a length similar to the HARDBALL magazines. They retain the round through the entire cycle period and guide it under the extractor, but they allow for greater nose-up during the feed cycle due to the gradual release of the tapered feed lips. Usually these are best for JHP rounds.

If your gun's extractor is tuned to one philosophy, you have a different philosophy magazine inserted, then mismatched ammo to either of those philosophies... then you get jams. Depending on the degree of mismatch, you can have intermittent failures all the way to dramatic lemon guns. Then, there's guns that are flat-out not built to spec and are beyond salvage.

ETA: from your description, it sounds like your rounds are not sliding under the extractor cleanly. I would suggest that you disassemble the extractor and pull it out, and examine for a bevel and for proper tension.

To test extractor tension, take the slide (without barrel) and with the extractor correctly inserted, place a loaded cartridge between the extractor and the breech face by hand. If the extractor can retain the cartridge against the breech face, it is the correct tension. If the cartridge falls out, it is too loose. If the cartridge will not fit (you cannot insert it between the extractor and breech face with hand force) then you have too much tension or a burr on the extractor, or not enough bevel on the bottom edge of the extractor.

silver-bullet

Before getting into extractor-issues, I'd try a few different magazines first. I've had great luck with Wilson mags, and Kimber's Pro-Tac mags. Not as much luck with Chip McCormick, or the standard 7-round mags that come with most Springfields and Kimbers. Novaks are pretty good too, although I don't care for the base-pad.

Coltman 77

Sorry to read of the issues with your new Springfield Texpass.

I think that azredhawk44's post is just excellent advice. Follow his suggestions and see how the pistol functions.

You can always send it back to SA, they are supposed to have good CS, so that's very good piece of mind for you.

Please keep us updated on your situation.

Good luck. :)

Did you clean the gun prior to lubing?

On another quick note here. This guide rod system is new to me. Just exactly how tight do you get when putting the old Allen wrench to the guide rod. I noticed it came loose about halfway through the session and I had to hand tighten.

Happened to mine, too. You don't need to tighten it with a gorilla grip of death. What I do is use LockTite 242 medium strength on the threading and snug it down. Very little is needed.

Before dumping money into other magazines, I'd follow Redhawk's advice on checking the extractor tension. If it's too tight, then it may not allow for proper feeding. If that's fine, give Springfield a call. I dont' believe in a break-in process in order for your gun to operate properly.

Kreyzhorse

I noticed it came loose about halfway through the session and I had to hand tighten.

Get rid of the damn thing. My Springfield TRP had a two piece FLGR and it refused to stay tight when shooting. Rather than go the Loc-Tite route, I replaced it with an Ed Brown GI guide rod and plug and I'm very happy with it.

I doubt the issue you are having is mag related and AZ Redhawks advice is sound. However, if all else fails, call Springfield and I'm sure they'll work with you to get your Loaded running right.

Texpass

Thanks to all for the good advice and information. I called SA's customer service and talked with a gentleman there about it. I told him this gun is just about as tight as any gun I have ever bought.

He said go ahead a put some more rounds down range with ball ammo, then either work in a few JHP's or try some other brands. If it still didn't fly send it in and they would check it out.

I managed to sneak off to the range one afternoon after work this week and put just over 200 rounds with some of those being the white box Winchester 230 JHP's. I had only one fail-to-feed and that was after about 190 rounds. By this time the gun was filthy. I think that may have been as much of the problem as anything.

So I will log a few more rounds at the range and see how it's working.

Thanks again for everyones input.

Texpass

Thanks for the tips on the mags. That was what I was going to order since I also carry a Colt New Agent with a CT Laser. BTW Barbicatter, saw the story about you and the Mountain Lion. Nice work!

threegun

I managed to sneak off to the range one afternoon after work this week and put just over 200 rounds with some of those being the white box Winchester 230 JHP's. I had only one fail-to-feed and that was after about 190 rounds. By this time the gun was filthy. I think that may have been as much of the problem as anything.

Number 7 on the 1911's list of excuses for unreliability LOL. Good luck and keep us informed on its future. Maybe if you are successful I will rescind my swearing off of the platform one more time.

markj

HOWEVER it did have some issues with the JHP's. I was using Winchester JHP's, didn't happen to have any others on hand. It didn't FTF all the time but every once in a while.

Mine did this too, I use colt mags and only fmj now. Havent tried JHP again but I may even tho the fmj is a great round for any form of shooting IMHO.

The High Standard 1911 by armscor shoot everything put into it so I gave it to my nephew when he returned from boot camp. What else you gonna give a marine? :)

Texpass

Yes go figure. I have five 1911's. A Colt New Agent, Springfield Mil-Spec, S&W 5 inch Tactical, S&W 1911PD and of course the gun in question the Springfield LW Loaded.

I have no problems with any of them with JHP's except the Loaded. After the input here and extensive reading and talking with others I have ordered some Check Mate Hybrid mags. We will find out later this week. I will report back.

Thanks again for everyones input.