SA Champion or Mil-Spec?

John D

The wacky Republic of Kalifornia has new legislation taking effect January 1, 2003 that will make it even more difficult to purchase handguns (as if shotguns or long guns can't kill!). Soooo, I'm thinking I should make my .45 purchase now.

The local chain has two Springfields on sale: the Champion (loaded with night sights, etc. with 4" barrel) for $649 and the Mil-Spec (5" barrel) for $479. I like the idea of the 5" barrel but might be willing to pay the extra $$$ for the Champion (and settle for the shorter barrel) if it's substantially better.

Is the Champion a "better" buy? What would I be giving up?

hdm25

The Champion is a better buy because of the added features that it has (night sights, beveling, etc.)...to me, at least. I just bought one yesterday. The prices sound like fair prices on NIB examples of the guns. If the Champion is a parkerized loaded one, which it sounds like it is from the price, I would buy it. Springfield is discontinuing the production of that particular model and you WILL NOT find them NIB in the near future. As a matter of fact, I don't think ANY of the major distributors has any left in stock...they didn't yesterday, anyway, and Springfield said (again, yesterday) that there were no more in the pipe.

45Rookie

Almost 500 dollars for a Mil-Spec. They sell for around 399 here in Sacramento. I would go for the Champion.