SA 9mm XD-E, vs XD Mod 2

Mastrogiacomo

Can anyone explain the difference between these two models? Supposedly the XDE is easier to rack, but wouldn't the XD Mod 2 be as well?

JMag1

Different guns with different manual of arms. The XD-E is a hammer gun, and the XD-Mod 2 is a striker gun. There are different springs/weights involved because of that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I agree with RevV. I've had an xde for abt a month. I think it's great. As soon as I find an appropriate IWB holster, the xde will become my edc for summer. Usually I carry my xd9 all year but now will use it for winter carry. The s and e appear to be very similar except for the striker and the hammer. I personally prefer the hammer but will carry either, xd9 or xde.

Mosin44az

XD-E is hammer-fired, traditional double action if carried with the hammer down. This means a long trigger pull on the first shot, with each subsequent shot being a short single action trigger pull because the hammer is cocked by the previous shot slide movement.

XD-E has a safety- decocker, means you can decock to get a double-action first shot, or flip the safety up to go cocked and locked like a 1911, with a short single action trigger pull on the first shot after flipping the safety off.

XD Mod 2 is like all previous XDs, with a short striker fired trigger pull. Not as short as some other brands, but certainly shorter and lighter than the DA pull on the XD-E. Has the grip safety of previous XDs, which has been removed on the XD-E.

I don’t know why the XD-E’s slide would be easier to rack, unless Springfield deliberately engineered that. That happens when you go down a caliber, as with the Ruger LC380 or the new Smith EZ Shield. Less power means you can put in a softer recoil spring and have an easier-racking pistol. But the XD-E is still 9mm. Looks like Springfield is claiming its hammer design makes racking easier.

Springfield must have seen a demand for an older-style, traditional double action. I personally like the trigger pull to be the same every time.

OhioGuy

Springfield claims 33% lighter spring weight for easier slide racking. It is a deliberate design choice and it's noticeable when racking, although I don't find most guns hard to rack, I could see it being valuable to someone with less hand strength, arthritis or the like.

I had an XD Mod.2 3" for about a year and really liked it. It's quite small for what it is. Honestly, the XD-E isn't *that* much smaller. The thinner profile is noticeable, but the overall length is slightly greater and the XD-E is quite tall. It's also very heavy. Between the two, I'd suck up the slightly greater weight and width and get the Mod.2 for the extra capacity.

The XD-S is a bit smaller than the XD-E and is striker fired like the Mod.2. If you want a smaller gun, I'd opt for the XD-S since it has a shorter grip length and is more concealable than the XD-E.

The E's trigger is decent -- longer than I'd like, and the DA pull is so-so, but the SA pull was pretty good, although with a long-ish reset. The Mod.2 trigger is about as bland as it gets, kinda mushy, not terribly crisp, but more than sufficient for a defensive pistol. I wouldn't say any of the Springfields are especially great in the trigger department.

OhioGuy

Oh, another difference, is the striker models (XD and XD-S) have grip safeties, which some people despise but I never found any problems with. These are deactivated simply by gripping the gun, so they're entirely passive, but provide safety when holstering the gun (as long as you aren't depressing it when you holster!).

The XD-E has a manual safety lever and no grip safety.

jonb32248

I have the xde and personally use the DeSantis Invisible Agent IWB holster. I wouldn't use it for any other gun especially non safety guns. Galco makes a nice one too. I can conceal the xde as good as my Walther PPsM2 which is slightly smaller gun.