SA 17-Round BHP mags - break in procedure?

Warm Bore

Ok,

Last time I bug you about my new BHP - promise. I just got my 2 17-round South African magazines for CDNN. Very fast service, BTW :) Anyway, one of the mags was fairly easy to load down to about the 15th round while the other was a bear after the 8th. I think the springs are pretty stiff in these. Is there a quick way of breaking them in? Should I just muscle in the 17 and let them sit a week to let the spring take a set? If not, what's the correct way to break 'em in?

Thanks for the help,

Warm Bore

You can also do a search here on them as there is plenty of data. You may also run across a problem initially with the 17rd mags holding the slide open. That's another problem that requires a little breaking-in and is amply covered in the archives.

Coronach

Yup

load 'em up to capacity (yeah...17 WILL fit. Use the loaders, and PUSH) and let them sit.

Replace the recoil spring with a 18.5# wolff spring if you have FTF issues. Yes, it is labeled .40 S&W, but it will handle 9mm fine. It is also easier on your frame, AND it will reliably strip the first few rounds from the mag, which my factor spring did not.

Mike

Birch

Coronach:

I'm looking to get a BHP in .40 These SA production mags are in .40? How many rounds of 40 will these hold?

Cheers!

Birch

Coronach

Yup

The mags and gun in question are 9mm. the recoil spring is rated to handle the recoil of the .40 S&W cartridge, but it functions just fine on 9mm as well.

A hicap .40 mag would be nice, but would likely require the repeal of the law in question.

Mike

Tom B

I purchased one of the mags months ago but only used it for the first time yesterday. I loaded it with 15rds once with no problems. Afterwards I loaded it with 17rds plus one in chamber and had no problems during the rest of the shoot. I did not even take the mag loader to the range with me.

Backwoods

I bought three of these HiCap mags just in the last 2 weeks and mine function great! Even better was the service from CDNN, mailed order on friday, got mags on the next thursday, that's pretty good!

Don in Ohio