S&W's new single action

Rob Pincus

I own one of the rare Performance Center single action 4006 conversions and it is a very sweet gun.

The new 1911 frame looks almost exactly like the 945 frame, but the slide is not quite as flashy. My 945 is an outstanding single angle gun, although it's big. I'm expecting the 1911 to compare with the 945 much like the 4013TSW compares to the ShortyForty: It wil be a production version of the custom gun without all the flash.

Anyone shot one yet?

blades67

The "new" SW1911 is supposed to retail somewhere around $1000!?:eek: :confused: I thought they were going to be afordably priced.:rolleyes:

Rob Pincus

Good Point, Dave... the intersting thing is that production guns weren't available for T&E until within the last couple weeks. I'm going to do the review for SWAT, and the coverage won't realisticly be out on the newstands until this summer because of printing lag-time. The same thing was the case when I reviewed the Springfield XD... we got a very early gun form them, before they were shipping to dealers, yet we were probably the last major mag to print a reveiw... it's funny how waiting for production guns will cause you to be "behind" the curve. ;)

VVG

The "new" SW1911 is supposed to retail somewhere around $1000!? I thought they were going to be afordably priced.
According to folks at the S&W forum, it has an MSRP of $950, with projected street prices of $700-775 according to most dealers.

The fact that S&W can make all their own forgings, castings, and machined parts, and has huge volume purchase for things like sights and other accessories bodes well for the value proposition, but the proof is in the shooting. Talked to two local dealers and they both have standing orders for them already, sight unseen.

Should be lots of PR at the time of the SHOT show, undoubtedly they will want to make a splash with this and the .45 ACP SW99.

JohnK

JohnK, when was the last time you saw a gun get a bad review in Shooting times or Guns and Ammo?

That's why I said it would hopefully be a good gun. ;) Sometimes it seems the flashy gun rags get all the gems and Gun Test gets the lemons doesn't it. All those advertising dollars wouldn't have anything to do with it, would it? :)

johnbt

That means the shops here will be selling them for $949.95. You'd think I lived in California or Mass.

John

VHinch

I'll definately look at them if they stay in $700-750 range, but I don't think I'd pay more than that based on what I've seen so far. Then again, I am a sucker for a new 1911.

Vance