S&W's great customer service

Well it seems there has been a few post both good and bad about this topic. This is a good one. This is my second time dealing with S&W customer service. The first time was in 2006, I had to return a 686+ because it was lite striking primers in double action only. I called them up they paid for everything and I had my revolver back in less than two weeks. Everything was fixed and I haven't had any other problems with that gun. It also might have been the CCI mag. primers that I use but still no more problems.

This time; I don't know if you remember my post back in October about my new S&W M29-3 8 3/8" revolver? Well anyways I love this gun and I actually shot a big coyote with it while I was deer hunting last November.

The gun has always been accurate, but one day I was looking at the sights and I noticed that windage was maxed out all the way to the right. It was like this when I bought it used because I never had to move the sights. Well this got to me so I centered the windage and I took it out. What I noticed is that it was shooting way to the left and the only way I could get it zeroed was to max it back out to the right.

Looking closer it looked as if the barrel was slightly canted to the right. So on the phone I went. I called customer service and they ran the serial number and I was told that It wasn't covered by warranty. This didn't bother me too much because it was a used gun. So I paid for shipping and sent it to their shop. I was told on the phone that I would have to pay for everything. Well I just got my gun back today (about 2 1/2 weeks after sending). Come to find out they ended up paying for everything they even covered the shiping both ways, I was told this by my Gunshop. So I'm happy,

Took it out shooting today and it shot great and the windage is perfectly centered where I like it. I have never had to move the windage on a Smith, they are alway on from the factory for me. So I'm happy!

Last edited:
There is that but still they fixed both problems so I like knowing that if there is a problem it will be fixed.

I sold all of my rugers by the way, the smiths will stay:D

abber

My model 29 failed at the forcing cone, and was totally destroyed. At first S&W denied responsibility in a letter they sent me. Also, in same letter, they offered a replacement at a reduced price of $795.00. I was not happy about this, but I filed the letter away while considering what to do next. Well, a few months went by, and I had pretty much gotten over the loss, when I got a call from Ken at S&W CS. He told me that he had been instructed to replace my revolver at no cost to me, and all he needed was FFL info so he could ship the new gun.

This was my third experience with S&W CS, and although it did not begin well, I am a happy camper now. The three experiences were all for the same gun, so I think I just got the occasional lemon, which can come from anybody. It happens. I am still a big fan, and will continue to buy their products.