S&W XVR 460 without recoil dampening?

WhistlerSWE

Here in Sweden we can only get a license if it is for a handgun that is allowed in - and will be used for - competition. I'm really interested in the Smith & Wesson XVR 460 and therefor I've been looking at metallic silhuette shooting, where I could propably fit it in the Big Bore Unlimited class.

The problem is that no compensators or ported barells are allowed, and also the maximum total weapon length is 18". From what I've gathered the XVR 460 is only available uncompensated and unported on the 12" barell, but that barell is only available on the XVR 460 Hunter from the Performance Center. I don't like the price of the PC and I don't like the look of the whole rail attach thingy.

Is there a way to get a regular XVR 460 without recoil dampening?

maikell77

If you can use a single action only you might look at Magnum Research. They are all uncompensated from the factory. I have one with a 7.5" barrel and it is a great gun. The quality is great. I highly recomend them.

WhistlerSWE

Thank you for your response! :)

I've been looking at the BFR as well, it is a truly beautiful revolver, but I am a bit more keen on the XVR for some reason. Also the single action only feature makes me doubt the BFR, though I might get it in 30-30 later.

After some (awful) contact with S&W I finally got it out of them that there is a 12" without ports or compensator, but it is a Performance Center as well as a "Hunter" model, which means the awful rail block.

Is it possible to remove the block and make it look like a regular XVR? It seems like it is attached with some form of mounting ring in the front of the block.

Gun 4 Fun

Have you thought about buying it and having a reputable gunsmith cut the ports off, recrown and reinstall the sight of your choice?

zxcvbob

I was looking at the 8 3/8" models online and wondering if you could get one cut down to 7 1/2", then I noticed that the compensators are replacable. Maybe you just need a machinist to make you a replacement compensator that's not ported? Or what happens if you fire it without the compensator? (maybe just remove the comp and get the barrel recrowned without it)

Gun 4 Fun

I was just looking at Acusports web. There is a picture of a Smith 500 that looks like what your after. I believe that it is either going to be made for them or already is. You might be able to get the same thing in the 460 version. Acusport has special runs made just for them regularly. If you can get over to their web check it out.