S&W vs Ruger

Diggers

Looking at the posts here there seem to be way more talking about S&W than Ruger. Why is that?? What to you think?

Diggers

Spelling :eek: I don't know what you are talking about. hehe I need to read over what I write.
Just a mistake.(that I fixed) So NO I don't have any point of view, just noticed that ruGer isn't talked about nearly as much as S&W is all.

Surefire_U2

Edited to correct my error:

The reason Ruger doesn't get as much attention could be that in general they require more tinkering out of the box to get them "right", such as action jobs.

I just had to send two of my new Rugers out to get work on them...

Lou22

I think there's a lot more S&W talk because S&W has a longer history and a greater variety of models than Ruger. Also Smith is perceived by some as a superior maker of handguns. I for one like Smiths and own a 29. But I think Rugers are very well made and a better value for the money. As an example, I own a Redhawk .44 that is generally considered stronger than the Smith 29, hence better for heavy loads. But Smith 29's have more of an allure (being "Dirty Harry" guns). Also Smiths are considered generally finer, in terms of finish, trigger pull, etc.

Lou

I don't currently own any Smiths but I have four Rugers. That's mainly due to the price difference, & I just plain LIKE Rugers. IMO, they're every bit the gun that a Smith is (and more in some cases) with a slightly smaller price tag. Works for me.

That wouldn't keep me from picking up a Smith (most likely used) at a good price though.

swampdog

I've owned over 50 S&W revolvers in the last 30 years.
S&W revolvers are better looking and just beg to be picked up. They look "right"
to me. I have a k-22 that is the most accurate revolver I've ever fired.
Put a nice mod 19 next to a gp 100. Which one would you rather have in your hand?
I own several rugers. They're all SA. I had an old .357 speed six. Couldn't wait to
trade it on a S&W.
The triggers on S&W revolvers are much nicer than the ones on the double action
rugers.
I've taken quite a few deer with a super blackhawk. It's well made and accurate,
but I don't love it like I do my smiths.

18DAI

I haven't purchased a Ruger yet ,but I am going to be one of those converts. I won't purchase a handgun with an Internal Lock ,or a two piece barrel. I'm going to try the Ruger 357's. If S&W won't make what I want ,somebody will. Regards 18DAI.

BLKLABMAN

I have also owned several Smith's(29,629,686,686P) and Rugers(SBH, Redhawk,SRH) over the years. I have sold the Rugers. To me the DA Rugers are very crude looking affairs that are bulky, and heavy with poor factory triggers. They tend to remind me of old Soviet Com-Bloc weapons. They are ugly as sin but work, and thats about it.
With SA revolvers when I want quality, I'll buy Freedom Arm's 83.
The Smith's are elegant, refined, have better triggers, and are better balanced. The L-Frame.357mag's will handle the light to heavy loads all day long with easy. The 629 will go from light to 310gr Hammerhead's with ease as well.
These are just my opinions.
Land Rover or Land Cruiser... BMW or Mercedes.
Both brands work, it just depends on the buyers tastes.

454c

Smith has alot of models and several changes within those models.There is alot to talk about in all that mess.Pre-war,no dash,p&r,pre-mim,pre-lock and I'm sure I missed some others.Add to that the Clinton deal and the internal locks and you have a company that is a hot topic.

Rugers on the other hand,are the same as when they hit the market. The same things said about Ruger years ago is the same thing to be said today.A tough,reliable,well built gun at an affordable price.

Surefire_U2

I like the Ruger design much better (push button cylinder, no side plate, easy disasembly, excellent stock grips), but the product itself seems to be hit and miss. I've experienced a 50% problem rate with NIB Rugers over the last 5 years--which includes several problem guns--two of which were just sent out for repairs. With S&W (their revolvers anyway, I did have a bad S&W semi-auto once), so far...no issues forcing me to send a gun back for repairs. However, since I only have 2 S&W revolvers this could be from pure luck.

To summarize: IMO, the Ruger design is better than the S&W design. However, the S&W workmanship (metal work, etc) is usually above what Ruger puts out, IMO.

DWARREN123

I have 2 Rugers (4"&6" barreled stainless) GP-100's and a older S&W 67-1 and a new 60-15. The S&W 67-1 is very nice but the Rugers are just as good but a half size bigger. The Ruger's are somewhat blocky in build but they are built like tanks.
I have had no problem with the Ruger's or the S&W 67-1 but the 60-15 (new) is very hard to operate unless clean and lubed properly, I do like all of them though.

sceva

I like them both. My Ruger Speed Six stainless is a great carry gun. However my one keeper revolver is a S&W 25-5 4". There's just something about those N-frame smiths.

blume357

Both brands are generaly reliable

I own a goodly number of Rugers (7 handguns) and all are well made and do their job. I also own one smith & wesson model 19 revolver... that model at least is a step above any of the rugers I own.

SAWBONES

"Ruggers" are fine. I've got five of 'em.

As they come from the box, they're almost always less "finished" than S&W products, but they're stronger too, less expensive, quite reliable and without any stinkin' locks in most examples.
Rugers can be fitted and tuned up to be the equal of any of the S&W revolvers in terms of appearance and most aspects of function. Their DA triggers are never quite as good (the pull is longer), but they're quite workable.

packratjim

I think they both have their virtues and their faults.

RUGER - Simple, rugged, reliable, heavy, less expensive, maybe a little rough around the edges, sometimes need a little fine tuning, especially the trigger.

SMITH - Elegant, finely finished, pleasing to (MOST people's) eye, usually a better trigger although it can be improved too. If you really put your mind to it (or you don't have much of a mind) you can probably blow it up, shoot it out of time, or stretch the frame a little easier than you could with a Ruger.

BUT, there's been a lot of talk lately about quality control problems with the new Smiths. If that turns out to be true, the scale starts to tip the other way.

And of course, there's the LOCK. AAAAARRRRRRGH!!!!!

If you have more than one kid, which one is "better"? Guns ain't kids, but the point is, they're just different.

I have Rugers, and I have Smiths, and I like them both in different ways.

2ndamd

Many good points here about the differences between the two.

To answer your question though. I think it was said best when someone said that Ruger DA's have been the same for many years now.

BUT.........

If you had many people interested in single action vs double action revolvers here then I think you would see the Rugers talked about quite a bit more. Pretty much a DA crowd here (not all, I know. But, the majority)

Ruger's SBH out sold S&W model 29 until Clint Eastwood starred as Dirty Harry. The 44 magnum use to be more of a hunters load. Thus, it suited the single action Super Blackhawk very well......and still does.

I have yet to own a single action revolver but, I keep leaning toward them.