S&W Tactical Question

branrot

I have a 3913 Tactical. It has the sight rail, which I'm really not thrilled with for a few reasons: I don't care for the way it looks, I don't use it, and it prevents me from using regular 3913 holsters.

Two questions: (1) can someone recommend a good holster for the 3913 with the sight rail and (2) does anyone know how to remove the sight rail without any heavy duty tools and without damaging the gun? Thanks.

Hal

Note to self - probably best to pass on the Sig GSR.

Sorry I can't be any help on the 3913 Bran old bud. I had (have) the same concerns about the GSR. (Light rail = dunsell.)

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
The problem with the sight rails on the newer TSW's is that they seem to be attached with rivets or blind screws or something... haven't looked at the inside, but I seem to recall being told it was rivets. Anyway, they'd need to be drilled out to remove the rail.

As far as holsters go, that's probably going to be a matter of trial and error. Hopefully someone's found a good holster to tote theirs in.

Worst come to worst, you could always go to a belt slide or Yaqui Slide type of holster...

SouthpawShootr

I saw a TSW at a recent show where the owner had the rails removed (it was a 4500 series gun, I don't remember the exact designation). It was quite nicely done. The holes were filled and whatever was filling them was contoured to match the frame (they were black, but the looked rather nice). I've been told that S&W will remove the rails, probably for a small fee. Seeing how you could really screw up a frame by attempting to do this yourself, I'd send the gun back to S&W and have them remove the rail. I hate the rail also, IMO it spoils the lines of an otherwise attractive pistol. I have 3 TSW guns. My 3913 Tactical is pre-rail, as is my 4013 TSW. Unfortunately, my 5943 has one of these cursed rails on it, but I don't shoot it very much, so I leave it alone.

Walosi

All of the 3913 holsters in the Alessi line are available for guns with the rail. Mine is pre-rail, and I have never been able to understand why they added the rail in the first place. One of those "solutions waiting for a problem", IMO.