S&W SS K frame durability

18DAI

I have been trying to get more information on this subject. Years ago when my partner and I were carrying Model 19's ,we had a conversation with a S&W instructor. We were asking about the durability of the 19 shooting various 357 loads. He told us we should simply run 10% 158 grain and the guns would outlast us. He made the comment that the stainless steel guns were much tougher than the carbon steel models. Since then I have noticed that although the 19 is always singled out as having cracked forcing cones ,or "shooting loose" ,or what ever internet rumor is running on it, I never hear about the M66. So ,is anybody out there who knows of, or has ever heard of problems with the M66. If there are metalurgists or engineers who could chime in with info as well it would be much appreciated. Ihave only come across the opposite . Many m66's with untold rounds of 357 through them ,including Police trade ins , that are still ticking and running tight. Thanks for any replies. Regards 18DAI.

Webleymkv

Early M66's had all the problems of the M19 and then some. Split forcing cones were caused by the fact that they had to be narrow on the bottom in order to fit into the frame window of the K-Frame. Early M66 had more problems than the M19 because S&W didn't get the stainless steel quite right. The steel heated up and expanded faster than the blued carbon steel in the M19 and would jam the gun up mosst frequently around the gas ring. S&W eventually fixed this problem. To be fair, split forcing cones were mainly a symptom of the hot, fast 125grn loads that became more popular in the 1970's and 1980's. 158's aren't as hard on the guns. If you are wondering, the majority of this information comes from Massad Ayoob's article "R.I.P. 357 Combat Magnum" in the July/August 2005 issue of American Handgunner

18DAI

WebleymkV - Thanks for the info ,I borrowed my neighbors back issue ,interesting article. Now I've got another question. On page 28 of that issue ,lower left is a M66 3" I've never seen before. Based on the cylinder stud ,thumbpiece ,and case hardened trigger and hammer ,I'm guessing it's a 66-4. I've not seen a PC slab sided 3" barrel on a 66 before. Can anybody ID this piece? How many were made and for who? Regards 18DAI.

MidnightRambler

I forget the dash number, but I used to own a 3" 66 that was a limited run for a department in California. I forget which one. It wasn't the police or the FBI, but it was for California. I sold it during my "I'm a complete moron" period.

357shooter

I just bought a 6" bbl model 19 so i am curious to what people say about it's strength.I would like to use it as a hunting sidearm and possibly take a deer with it if I get the chance.I probably will shoot mostly 38.or mild 357.loads.for practice but would like to whip up some 158 gr.heaters for hunting.I don't want to ruin my first classic S@W revolver.

18DAI

Run 158 grain magnums ,at a rate of nine 38's to every magnum (10%) and your grandchildren will hunt with that gun. They are strong ,fine revolvers. Enjoy yours. Regards 18DAI.

dogngun

This goes back to the very early Smith stainless revolvers which were a bit more brittle than the carbon steel blue guns, and sufferred some damage after being used with the very hot .357 mag loads of the 1970's. Think about Lee Juras and SuperVel. There were some outrageous loads being made at the time, and the stainless steel then used was not near as good as it has become, nor as good as the heat treated carbon steel of, say , the Model 19.
The problem was and still is, the other blue k-frame guns became tarred with the same brush, and the Model 19 and Model 13 got an undeserved bad rap.

If you are using current commercial .357 magnum loads, you will probably NEVER wear out or shoot out a K-frame .357 magnum in good condition.
They are excellent revolvers, great carry guns and an excellent value.
The good thing is, the Internet myth helps keep the prices low.

Mark