S&W Snubbie with +P Ammo?

SCDeac82

Question: Is it OK to shoot a Model 10 with the +P .38's? (J Frame?)

If not, what would be a good factory round for SD in this gun?

Thanks Ya'll.

cole k

A model 10 isn't a J-frame.

The last time I was at the range I fired over 200 rounds of +Ps from my model 10. I have no clue how many +Ps I have fired from my model 10 over the last 35 years but it has been a bunch.

SigP6Carry

10's a K-frame. It can handle +P (from what I've read, yet to test it out myself). As for the J-frames, which are the little ones, I'm not sure how they're rated.

redlevel42

I fire +p ammo in my K-frames as well as my j-frames. Unless you're very rich, you can't afford to buy enough +p ammo from the major manufacturers to hurt a K-frame. It is pretty much the same with the all-steel j-frames. I have fired a bunch of +p in my Model 36s and Model 60s. The +p ammo from the major manufacturers is really pretty anemic.

The Buffalo Bore +p 158 grain lead swc hollow point is a different story. I shoot it in my j-frames to sight in, and I carry it in my Models 60 and 36 for defense, but it is truly a hot little round. In my mind, it makes a j-frame a very viable personal defense round. The manufacturer reports over 1000fps from the round in a two-inch barrel, and that ain't to be sneezed at. I wouldn't want to spend a day at the range shooting the BB stuff from a j-frame or a K-frame. It is also very expensive.

laytonj1

The 637 is a late model gun advertised for +P.
The ones built on the J magnum frames (starting in 1996) are +P rated.
The earlier ones (1989 to 1995) are not.

K frames made after 1958 are okay (per S&W) to use with +P.

Jim

hexidismal

It is pretty well established here already that it's ok, and personally I think you can .. but I don't. Obviously it's ok to shoot +p in K-frames designed to shoot .357mag, and I do it all the time. The ones designed for .38sp though.. I'm sure it's fine and all, but it just feels wrong to me and I just don't like pressing my luck. I have too much bad luck to push it :eek:

SCDeac82

Model 10

OK cool. Since its a K Frame., I'm good to go.

Bought it used but I'm pretty sure its probably at least a 1970 Vintage or later.

Thanks guys.

JB

armsmaster270

In the 70's the Sacramento P.D. issued Mod 15 K frames. In the 80's they started issuing Federal +P+ 38's to use in the same revolvers. Many round down the range before they switched to Sig wonder nines and no blowups.

Webleymkv

As has been mentioned already, all S&W K-Frames with model numbers (made post-1958) are OK to use with +P ammo per S&W with the exception of the Model 12 because it has an aluminum frame. A very easy way to tell whether your revolver is a J-Frame or K-Frame is that a J-Frame .38 Special will have a five-shot cylinder while a K-Frame .38 will have a six-shot cylinder. The Model 10 is a K-Frame while the closest J-Frame model would be a M36.

old bear

Just out of curiosity, i imagine +P would hav a heck of a blast and flash or is it no too bad?
Not in the least, in any mid-sized frame the +p and +P+ is not bad to shoot. What most people do not understand is today's current +P loads are equal to the standard 38 special loads of 40 years ago. many feel that that the +p rating is marketing hype and protection against law suits.

michael t

What most people do not understand is today's current +P loads are equal to the standard 38 special loads of 40 years ago. many feel that that the +p rating is marketing hype and protection against law suits.

Amen!! todays 38+p is weak. Now Buffalo Bore will wake you up :eek:

laytonj1

According to Gun Digest, the 637 was not introduced until 1996. The 638 in 1989.
According to S&W, it was 1989. Mine was from 1992.
The 638 was also introduced in 1989 with a special run for Elliot Brothers.

Since neither was cataloged until 1996 (with the introduction of the J magnum frame) that is likely what Gun Digest is basing their info on.

Jim

KyJim

As I mentioned in the other thread, this is interesting -- that SW would not catalog a gun for several years.

bikerbill

I have a 637, which IS a J-frame, and it is rated for +p ... whether you want to shoot them in a 14 oz package is your call ... when I first got it, I got a box of 158gr +p lead hollowpoints, the famous FBI load ... still have 48 of them, the first two damn near tore my thumb off ... standard pressure works for me ...