S&W Shorty 45

18DAI

Does anybody have one of these? How accurate is it? They are a Performance center enhancement of the 4513. Are they worth the premium? How about the Briley bushing, I've read that they are very hard to assemble/ reassemble with the bushing. These are fairly expensive pistols, IMHO. I've purchased PC revolvers in the past, and not been thrilled in the level of performance, over standard production models. This would be a carry gun, replacing a 4516-3. Is it reliable/durable enough to do so? How about shooting 3-4000 rounds per year through it? Thanks. Regards 18DAI.

JoeHatley

I can't comment on the gun, but I have 3 semi-autos with the Birley bushing. 2 fixed and 1 removable.

They are one of the best things for enhancing accuracy that I know of. Yes, the 1st couple of times you re-assemble a fixed bushing gun, you may have a bit of trouble.

It's just like anything else where the parts are closely fitted, once you've done it a couple of time, you'll wonder why you had all that trouble the 1st time. Since I've learned to use my pinky finger as an "alignment tool", I've not had any trouble.

Joe

18DAI

Thanks Mr. Hatley for the info. I'm still searching for one. They are apparently well thought of, based on the prices I'm encountering. Thanks again. Regards 18DAI.

Tripplethreat

Cant speak to the 4513,but if it's anything like the 4516 I once had,it would be my cup of tea. I'm not a fan of S&W autos but the 4516 was amazing in it's accuracy and controllability was top notch.Wish I still had it.
A 4513 would most likely be just as good if not better.

18DAI

Tripplethreat - I have been working in plainclothes for the last while and carrying my 4516. That's what has me searching for the Shorty 45. It's everything good about the 4516, minus the one negative, 4516's a little heavy. My 4516 is a -3 and is a reliable tack driver. Regards 18DAI.

MADISON

3 semi-autos

My consideration for buying a 3 semi-autos is as follows:
In a .45 APC factory velocity is between 830 and 850 feet per second.
For each inch below 5 inch you loose either 30 or 70 feet per second.
If the ammo manufacturer uses a REAL GUN it is 30 FPS. If the ammo manufacturer uses a UNIVERSAL RECEIVER the loss is 70 FPS.

18DAI

Madison - I considered the loss of velocity from a 3.75 barrel prior to getting the 4516. I'm from the shot placement camp. With Ranger T, or Golden Sabre, it's inconsequential, IMO, at the likely engagement ranges I would be subject to. If the JHP fails to expand, it's still like 45 ball. The reliability of a short barreled 45 was much more of a concern to me. The 4516 is the only compact 45 I have, or have personally observed, to operate reliably 100% of the time. The Colt (Defender?) my ex partner had being the only other (that I personally observed) but our agency no longer authorizes SA pistols. Regards 18DAI.