S&W Shield Safety

Groundhog34

I have a performance center 9mm Shield that had serious issues. The slide was locked back and could not be moved. I sent it back to S&W for repair. 7 weeks later it was returned with "slide deburred" as repair done. It has been 100% reliable since. I have run about 400 rounds of all types of ammo through it with no issues. I am happy except for the safety for which I have no use for. Question, can I put a small drop of super glue in the area where the safety touches the frame while the safety is in the off position thereby locking safety in off position?
Has anyone done this or anything else to render safety inoperable?

Texas45

I have a performance center 9mm Shield that had serious issues. The slide was locked back and could not be moved. I sent it back to S&W for repair. 7 weeks later it was returned with "slide deburred" as repair done. It has been 100% reliable since. I have run about 400 rounds of all types of ammo through it with no issues. I am happy except for the safety for which I have no use for. Question, can I put a small drop of super glue in the area where the safety touches the frame while the safety is in the off position thereby locking safety in off position?

Has anyone done this or anything else to render safety inoperable?

Why. Just dont select it.
Small as it is seems accidental engagement would be rather tough.
I carry a 45 version with safety but it is off when weapon in holstered each morning. On when removed for day and placed on end table.
Only me and my dog and she has no thumbs so its safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TunnelRat

For me personally, if it has a safety I practice disengaging that safety. I'm a walking example of Murphy's laws. If it can go wrong it will and while I don't doubt that the chance of that safety getting switched on by accident is very low, I'd still rather incorporate it into my handling of that pistol. It's a reason why I personally would buy the non-safety model, simply because I don't find it a particularly easy safety to use.

That said I'm not sure super glue is your answer. That seems a bit bubba to me (no offense to actual bubbas).

Sawyer.N

For me personally, if it has a safety I practice disengaging that safety.

Agreed here with TunnelRat. Though it may seem to be "tough" to accidentally engage the safety, it is a possibility, and on a shield, I dont think its tough to do so. I think that it could very easily happen. It could happen if your holster has a bit of give in its retention, and if you are like me, it could happen as a result of forgetfulness while holstering/handling/cleaning and reholstering. its much easier for me to make sure my safety is engaged, rather than trust that its still disengaged.

Due to these reasons I have mentioned, I also personally train myself to work the safety of a firearm if I choose to carry one with it. I do much prefer no safety, but I have a high level of confidence in carrying a pistol with a safety because I have put hours in of live fire and dry fire practice with them, disengaging as I draw. I would hate to put super glue on any part of any of my firearms.

Last edited:

erichard

shield safety

I bought the crimson laser model that only came with a safety, so safety I have. What I do, to put it to good use, is to engage the safety before holstering IWB, and then slip it off while it's in the holster. You get the benefit of avoiding accidental discharge while holstering and no safety when drawing to shoot. You have to be pretty to compulsive and train to avoid accidentally leaving the safety on, and probably need to train sweeping the safety off just in case, but I still think it's worthwhile to avoid the faint possibility of discharge while holstering, which is a very real issue historically (eg "glock leg").

This would be particularly helpful if doing a blind holstering, say back at the 4 oclock position, where unknown to you clothing may interfere inside the trigger guard.

It's a good remedy since striker fired pistols don't allow you to ride the hammer as you holster.

Groundhog34

I applied the glue, 2 tiny drops, then moved the safety to the fire position and let it set. It is not noticeable and has secured the safety in fire position. I did not mention the fact I am left handed so the possibility of accidental engagement was greater than for a right handed person.
As for the warranty not an issue as the glue can be easily removed. My background mitigates my concerns of criminal or tort repercussions. The safety or lack of are not factors in determining whether a shooting is justifiable. Accidental discharge is another issue.

Glenn E. Meyer

I have no idea about your background and we have discussed the court issues into the ground.

However, here we go again. If you do go to court (criminal or civil) then some folks think your shoot is not justifiable. Get that point - if you are in court, some think it is not a 'good shoot'. Then, that you glued a safety mechanism to be not operable might influence a juror.

Whether you believe this or not, I really don't care. I'm not the one that might go to jail or have to pay a large settlement.

roadrash

I agree with Glenn.
If the safety bothers you that much just dump it and get one sans safety.
These shields are a dime a dozen.

Snuffy308

Just don't use the safety. I have three shields, two with safeties and one without. The "saftied" guns have never activated themselves.

khegglie

I have had super glue dis adhere on a pair of glasses I own (plastic to metal surfaces) 3 times already.

NO GO for anything like a gun safety!

( I have a Shield .40. The safety doesn't turn itself on on off unless actively used).

Ibmikey

never make any comments about glue on safety if weapon is to be taken as evidence in a shooting. Your determination to make it work should be quite easy in breaking the bond of super glue --try it then reapply. Actually i'll bet S&W has a part to eliminate the safety. My Shield has a safety that i ignore.
I have an SCCY for a truck gun, a safety model, it ate the web of my hand on every shot. A call to SCcY and they sent me the frame without safety...works like a champ.

texagun

There are so many reasons why squirting Super Glue, JB Weld, or Locktite into the works of a pistol is a bad idea, I can't imagine why you would do that? Simply ignore the safety if you don't want to use it.

brian33x51

Engaging the safety on a shield is IMHO a PITA. I can't do it with my thumb, I have to use my left hand to engage it. As part of your carry drill it should be more than adequate to check that the safety is off every time you strap that gun on.

texagun

As part of your carry drill it should be more than adequate to check that the safety is off every time you strap that gun on.

As part of my carry drill I check that the safety is ON every time I strap it on. I have no problem engaging or disengaging the thumb safety and because I come from years of carrying 1911's it's just 2nd nature. I wouldn't own a .45 Shield without the thumb safety.

brian33x51

As part of my carry drill I check that the safety is ON every time I strap it on. I have no problem engaging or disengaging the thumb safety and because I come from years of carrying 1911's it's just 2nd nature. I wouldn't own a .45 Shield without the thumb safety.

I have every intention of always leaving my shield safety on, and training to disengage during draw. It's just way too easy to accidentally get a trigger accidentally caught up on something while holstering with conceal carry.

I'm not sure why but a 1911 still makes me feel not totally secure. I think it's just because the firing system is under tension when cocked and locked, even with the manual and grip safeties...I guess a typical striker system is also always under tension as well.

I could live with a decocker equipped hammer fired pistol as I can push down on the hammer with my thumb while holstering (that's how I currently handle my hk usp40c and I keep it decocked with safety on).

If someone wants to risk blowing a hole in their leg or blowing off their manhood I'm not going to stop them, but they should realize that something other than a finger can pull a trigger and should understand all the associated risks.

Last edited:

Glenn E. Meyer

Do we really have to go down the safety / no safety / striker road yet again.

I think we have answered the question that superglueing a safety is not a good idea.

Unless you have a comment on this specific issue that is new, let this die.