S&W Shield 40 Review

riggins_83

Found and purchased a new Shield 40 today, serial number starting "HA." After a field strip, clean and lube with Shooter's Choice FP10 I went out to the range and setup a silhouette target at 5 yards. With both Remington UMC 165 grain FMJ and Speer Gold Dot 155 grain factory loads it's a very controllable gun, was able to two handed rapid fire quite well without significant muzzle climb. Shooting this gun one handed provided a fair amount of muzzle climb however not so much as to be uncomfortable. I only used the factory extended magazine; don't care for my pinkie hanging off on a gun like this. No failures whatsoever in the 64 rounds I shot.

I've not owned a 40S&W in quite a few years however this incredible little piece will be my new carry gun. The trigger is different and far better than the original M&P Trigger. For a 40 this gun's very mild, doubt I'll ever feel under gunned with 8 rounds of 40 S&W. If so it's time to grab the rifle!

sh4k.jpg

Last edited:

Furminator

I love my Shield 9. I bought it to replace my PF-9 as my CCW. It is an extremely well made pistol. Oddly enough, though, I'm still carrying my PF-9. It is just way lighter and a wee bit smaller. I'll keep the Shield for special occasions :)

riggins_83

Dean,

What load are you running through yours? After having run the GD 155s through it I will probably try some Gold Dot Short barrel 180's.

dean1818

For carry, I use the Corbon DPX which is an awesome round

For target, i use cheap

I have just ordered a reloading die set, so this will soon get a steady diet of
Missouri bullet company cast lead for the range

My M&P 45c is incredibly accurate with cast bullets over bullseye powder

riggins_83

I picked up some Speer Gold Dot short barrel 180 loads for it which I'll test this weekend. Holster on the way is a Comptac Infidel, for now a Galco Summer Comfort for a Glock 19 fits it quite well.

Last edited:

riggins_83

Update: Gold Dot 180 Short barrel loads run very well in this gun. It's currently riding in a Galco Summer Comfort designed for a Glock 19 (fits very well), Comptac Infidel is on the way for it!

TheGoldenState

Cool review.

I am an advocate of the SW M&P line. It outdoes the other major polys in GLOCK and Springfield, imo.

I have had absolutely ZERO malfunctions, of any kind, in my original MP .40.
Probably my favorite gun. I have it in getting an APEX trigger put in, now. I also will most likely be getting the MP Pro Series in 9 (for faster follow up shots) as well.

I'm interested in the Shield. Local GS hasn't had any in. I have the Kahr PM9 now, which seems to be, by majority consensus of forum surfing, to be one of the top pocket guns----and I agree….never a single issue, smooth, accurate.

I wonder how the shield would stack up against it…..

shurshot

I examined a coworkers MP SHIELD 9mm yesterday. and I am impressed. Be aware though, the Sheild, unlike the bigger MP, will fire without the clip... no disconector.

riggins_83

Yep the Shield will fire without the magazine (doesn't have a clip). Many of the standard M&P models don't have a magazine disconnect, not a feature they put on them all. I personally wouldn't own one if it did have a magazine disconnect, not a feature I'd ever want.

shurshot

Correct, magazine... I will get that straight before my kids put me in a nursing home, LOL! That Shield is nice, just falls right in the hand. PPK size, with 9mm or 40 power.

geodimeter

I've owned my Shield .40 for about 2 months and have shot over 500 rounds through it, cheap target loads and 180g golden sabers with no problems. I do like the short mag for pocket carry in a Galco PRO460 with the longer mag in the left rear pocket of my jeans. I may get a shoulder holster for use under a jacket.