S&W Performance Center Revolvers

ellsworthtoohey

A friend of mine bought a 3 inch model 19 from their Performance Center about three years ago. Shortly afterward, he and I spent a day at the range shooting it and my ten year old 4 inch model 19. Neither one of us was impressed with the action on his high priced 'perfomance' gun, which wasn't as good as the factory action on my gun. He promptly traded it for something else.

old_yout

I was looking into getting one of the 629 Performance Centres, as well. I was told by more than one person that it would most likely not be worth the extra money (and it is a fair amount of extra money). They are apparently heavier than the standard models and aren't noticeably better shooters. Problem is, they're just so good-looking...

Walt Sherrill

If you're looking for a Performance Center gun, think "USED."

Some of the older ones, refined by the Performance Center, are exceptional weapons. Some of the newer ones don't seem to be that much better than the standard guns (except, perhaps, they look fancier or nicer.)

What's overlooked in all of this is that S&W improvements, over the past 4-5 years, in their CNC manufacturing processes, has led them to produce some of the smoothest guns they've ever made. (I always thought the Colt Python was the standard against which a trigger should be judged, but I've handled several S&W over the past few years that put my Python to shame...)

Its a shame we're having all of the political crap having to do with sell outs, etc. Fine guns. Poor company management.

The Performance Center guns are the "BEST" dollar value custom guns on the market today. Anyone who claims otherwise either can't appreciate fine firearms or can't add (cost of making a custom gun). They are well worth the added cost. The gun you pictured is pre agreement. Not getting it only hurts You, the dealer and distributor, both of whom are on our side of that debate. Robert

SmithNut

Robert is absolutely right!
The PC guns represent the best value in the gun business. When I hear things like "heavier than standard production" and "actions are no better then standard", I think "hearsay" and urban legend. The PC guns are absolutely the best price/performance you can get for a custom piece while carrying a full lifetime warranty, period. Performance Center pistols sell for close to $1000, but carry features that folks think are reserved for the $3000 1911 world.
The revolvers coming out of the Performance Center are absolutely outstanding. They have features you cannot get from local gunsmiths, and again, they carry a lifetime warranty. Try taking your revolver back to that gunsmith that has butchered it and ask for a refund. Better yet, try sending back to the factory for warranty work, good luck!
My collection has over 20 PC guns in it, and I can tell you that if they were junk, I would have stopped after buying the first..., second..., third..., fourth.... well you get the picture.
Take this for what it's worth. I know lots of folks that have had problems with their Mercedes, but that doesn't make the brand worthless. You are going to find problems with every brand, model, make and category sooner or later. That doesn't make the product line or 99% of the deliverables a problem.
.....SmithNut

Guy B. Meredith

I continuously see comment that the 686 is one of the best triggers out of the box and I do know that I preferred it to the Rugers I looked at and rental guns I've tried.

However, right out of the box the PC 627 made my 686+ (which had been polished with over 9000 rounds) look clunky. The V-Comp is an 8 shot .357 magnum with removeable three slot compensator and front detent cylinder lockup. It is heavy, but not noticeably more than the 686+ with it's fully underlugged 6" barrel. There is a matter of personal preference here, though, as I like the larger hand filling N frame.

There are many different PC models and I would not guarantee all are the ultimate choice, but the 5", 8-shot PC models made for competition are highly prized and I can see why.

JoeHatley

Guy,

I only own 1 PC revolver, so I can't really make any "blanket" statements, but if my 625 V-comp is representative I think they are a great value.

Most have list prices of $1000+, but the street price is closer to $750.

Good Luck...

Joe

scoops

i hate what smith and wesson did, but if i were to spend 750-1000 for a fine revolver i would buy a performance center gun over an over priced colt python any day.and im a colt fan.but no way pythons are worth what there going for.i dont care that they aint makin them anymore.they must have made a half a million pf them so they sure as hell aint rare.get the PC gun its a factory custom.

Bruce Dane

I have two Performance Center revolvers, a 686 and 629. I agree with other posts that these are both excellent shooting guns; smooth, consistent triggers, much more accurate than I am, and they look great to boot. I'd like more but I've had trouble finding the ones I'm after. BTW, one of the recent trade magazines had a write up on the Performance Center - American Handgunner, I think.

patrickt66

The only reason American Handgunner takes that position regarding the boycot is that S&W is one of their biggest advertisers. If S&W goes belly-up, so does teir revenue. It's become obvious that the boycot is working, look at S&W's latest business moves.

MikeFromIowa

I have only one revolver, a 627PC V-Comp. I tried a lot of revolvers at a lot of different shoppes, but I kept coming back to the 627. By the way, I found mine used at a significant discount, and once sighted in, is a lot of fun at the range.
--Mike From Iowa.
P.S. Does anyone have any experience with the "snubbie" 627?

sw627pc

I've got the original 627PC (five inch with the contoured barrel/lug). Absolutely love the gun. Enough so that it is my normal winter time carry gun. For pure fun at the range I admit that I prefer either the .45 LC or the .44-40 N frames, but for practical use I can't beat the eight shot .357.

dewey

More than a few of my older Smiths have very smooth and constant trigger pulls. I did some of the slick work and my smith did some of them( I peered over his shoulder and learned theEASY way !). IMHO, my 625 P.C. V-Comp's action is by far the best stock (before tune) than any of my other guns. In addition, 8 or 10 guys who have fired it have wanted to trade. To me that is the greatest tribute to the CNC updates that S&W has acheived by keeping pace with the real world.....dewey

SPG

I have a six year old K-Comp, it is without a doudt
my favorite revolver to carry, as I will occasionally.
Exellent accuracy and action. I did add Secret Service
grips and use an old Desantis USSS issue holster( thanks
T! ) If you ever run across one Grab It!! SPG ;)