S&W Performance Center guns

Rail Gun

I got my American Rifleman yesturday and I read the article they had praising their custom shop guns. Looking at some of the gun looks pretty tempting, especially the N frame 8-shot .357 mag they have in their catalog. I can not seem to locate prices on any of their performance models. Any idea on price quotes?

No comments about their politics please, since as I read in American rifleman today, the boycott is over.

MR.G

Watch the online auctions. I bought a factory new Performance Center 627 V-Comp 3" about three weeks ago for $616.01. There was a 627 V-comp 5" on Auction Arms, until the other day. Starting bid was $525.00, and never went past that. Didn't meet the minimum bid.

cslinger

Mr. G

How do you like the 3 inch Vcomp. Mine should be here today or tomorrow. I am really excited. 8 Shot .357, compensated, very nice looking....this is pegging the cool meter for me.

Assuming I shoot it well, and it is reliable as it should be this will most likely become my new house gun.

tomthel

Prices

Last deal I saw on a new 5" 8 shot 627 PC was $810 delivered. It was listed on one of the Auction Boards and was from Brown Sporting Goods in TX. I have seen them advertised higher. One I saw in a store here in CA was $869 as I recall new.

Tom

Stoic

...praising their custom shop guns....

I'm not sure that you can expect a candid and objective review of any product produced by that magazine's major advertiser.

S&W's custom shop is not at the top of their game right now because of legal constraints. Compare the action of an older M27 against their current Performance Center Offerings and you'll be disappointed with the new offerings. Of course, if you're buying the newer offerings with the intention of sending it off for an action job, then you'll have a worthy firearm.

I like the idea of an 8-shot .357, but that fugly lug has got to go. It looks like a friggen canoe. Also for the better part of a grand I want nice wood grips, not off road rubber!

bountyh

"S&W's custom shop is not at the top of their game right now because of legal constraints."

I've also recently seen a couple of PC guns that were not well done. I would think that would never happen in a custom shop. Also, in reviewing the PC offerings on Gunsamerica, it seems their prices are highly inflated for what they offer.

MR.G

cslinger,
It is a nice gun. I will never shoot it. I only have a couple of guns that I shoot. When you shoot yours, let me know what I am missing.

dewey

I buy them for their unique configurations

and features that aren't found anywhere else. The ones I've purchased in the last few years are generally up to spped quality wise and with some minor action work are well worth the price, to me anyway. Any problems have been worked out in short-order with FedEx charges paid both ways by the factory. One repair's total turntime was 6 biz days....dewey

Poohgyrr

S&W PC

:D

I have a PC 5906, the DPA model, and it is one sweet 15 shot 9x19. Perfect as it came right out of the box. It gives my 9x19 Hi Power serious competition for CCW. Two different pistols, and I really like Hi Powers, but the basic 5906 series is good, and the PC version is great. I sold a great Kimber CC .45 to buy it; that should indicate how much I like it.

I would love to buy one of their PC mdl 27 eight shooters, but they aren't on the nonsense certified list here....
A local shop has the 5" PC 627 8 shooter on display for $899.
I can understand S&W having to abide by their local laws, and marvel that they make such great products anyway.

Tman

CSlinger

I got my 627 PC 3" V-Comp a couple of months ago. Whatcha think of the trigger, especially in single action mode. When I'm shooting it single action, it is light, and as smooth as butter. A pleasure to shoot and a real big gun.

Mr.G: I'm green with envy for the price you paid for yours. You really need to take it out for a spin.... :D