S&W Performance Center 9mm SA Pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.

DennisE

I haven't been successful yet over at shooters.com getting an answer to the following: Has the Performance Center produced SA pistols in 9mm? Is the safety (or decocker) on the slide or the frame? If they exist, does anyone have a lead on the model number/name and who might have new/used ones in stock? Regards & thanks! Dennis

SmithNut

Dennis,
The Performance Center has put out several SA models, but I am not aware of any 9mm pieces to date. They made the .45 Limited, the .40 Limited and the .356 Limited. The .356 Limited was the two toned unit that was all stainless with a black oxide coating, and they polished some of the high areas for a bright stainless contast. The reason I talk about this unit is that it is very easy to have a 9mm barrel fitted to the piece, which will get you where you are going. Either Briley or the Performance Center can do the work. These had slide mounted safeties. There were a few custom guns turned out of the Performance Center in about 1989/90 with slide mounted safeties, but they dropped the practice due to economics. After, they standardized on the normal Smith safety positions, and started doing only limited production "runs" out of the PC. For what it's worth. ......SmithNut

thequickad

the latest from SW's web site shows the model 945 which is a .45 but in the Government model of SA, safety configuration.

SmithNut

thequickad is ABSOLUTELY right!! I totally spaced it on the 945, which in fact is modeled after the 1911. Part of the reason I never think of that piece is that I am not particularly fond of the fact that Smith departed from their own product identity and responded to the 1911 world with their own. I think if one wants a 1911, they will purchase one of the products in that space that is already viewed as a leader (Colt, Kimber, Sprinfield, etc.) Having said that, the M945 IS a very nice piece, and the examples I have seen are well done indeed, it's just not for me, and also, it's not a 9mm in any event. ......SmithNut

Rob Pincus

I have both a Perfomance center 945 and a .40 Limited.

The 945 is one of the most over-hyped gun I've ever owned. It is sexy, but not too much fun to shoot. I still own it, and it really gets a lot of attention, but it is not anywhere near a "favorite" of mine.. When I want a SA .45 that looks like a 1911, I have several 1911's to choose from....

the .40 Limited OTOH, is one of the greatest single action guns I have ever owned. I used it to compete in the STC Nationals last year in Florida and it performed very well.

To answer your questions, the safety is on the slide of the .40 Limited and on the slide of the 945.

The funny thing is that when I went to S&W looking for two guns for the STC, I REALLY was looking forward to the 945, and I was talked into the .40 Limited.. THANK GOD for insistent marketing people at S&W !!!

------------------
-Essayons

DennisE

To SmithNut, et al: Thanks for the replies. My memory cells obviously have an error hardwired into them, I appreciate you folks setting me straight! Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.