S&W PC 460 Recall

3StrikesNC

Oh God, not another one!

Scared the crap out me! At least my serial number is not included in the recall, this time.....

Looks like Smith is getting pretty good with the ole' punch mark....

So where does one buy an affordabl, quality firearm these days ?:eek:

ChiefMuzz

These barrels were manufactured by an outside supplier.

I believe that means that pieces of the high end guns in S&W's line are made by "other suppliers". Correct me if I am misunderstanding this or is this a common thing?

Last edited:

carguychris

I believe that means that pieces of the high end guns in S&W's line are made by "other suppliers".
I have a hunch that the "other supplier" may be Thompson/Center, which was purchased by S&W in 2007. One of the major reasons for the acquisition was reportedly T/C's expertise at making rifle barrels. Since the 460XVR is ballistically a lot like a small rifle, it wouldn't surprise me if S&W farmed out the barrels to T/C.

fprefect

Outsourced barrels

Is it me or does it seem ludicrous that the performance center line of revolvers is outsourced. Sad.

Many exotic metals(and are we even certain it was a metal?) and alloys required special and very expensive equipment to only produce the material, much less machine it. Before knowing more about what kind of material was being used I'm going to hold on to my stones awaiting further evidence and claifications.

F. Prefect

ChiefMuzz

Many exotic metals(and are we even certain it was a metal?) and alloys required special and very expensive equipment to only produce the material, much less machine it. Before knowing more about what kind of material was being used I'm going to hold on to my stones awaiting further evidence and claifications.

If you read the original post it says "the steel used..." So I imagine it isn't some hard to machine exotic metal. No stones thrown here....just curious and shocked at the same time.

fprefect

S&W 460 Magnum Barrels

If you read the original post it says "the steel used..." So I imagine it isn't some hard to machine exotic metal. No stones thrown here....just curious and shocked at the same time

Understood, I obviously failed to read the post thoroughly. I would agree that any company involved in the manufacturing of firearms for as long as S&W "should" understand the properties of almost all types of steel and also find in unusual that a company with such a reputation would farm out the manufacturing of something as critical to an "ultra high perfermance" firearm as it's barrel, although there are some metals out there being referred to as steel that when alloyed with other metals such as titanium do not have the physical properties "normally associated" with steel.

F. Prefect

Paochow

As per the website, the barrel is a
•Lothar-Walther Custom German Rifle Barrel

On a side note I finally got mine today, although I ended up cancelling my order with my dealer and buying one off gunbroker. Very nice gun, I'm taking it out to shoot tomorrow.

Millbilly

I have one of the first PC 460 Smiths ......Mine was recalled about 3 years ago and they replaced the barrel.....I have put about 200-300 rounds through mine and it is an awsome shooter.....I have taken 5 deer with it. The most extreme distance was about 175 yards head on....deer went down like he was run over by a truck.....I can't say any thing bad about my 460....The best deer hand gun you can buy.....

Paochow

I shot my 460 PC on Saturday. Even with just iron sights I was able to easily keep a few cylinders on a 18" circle at 200yds. Can't wait to get a scope on it.

Millbilly

watch out for flame when you shoot your 460.......

460Flame.jpg

Millbilly

That flash was with my 460 PC 10 1/2" My friend was taking pics and just got lucky by catching the flash......in the day light.....

mellowthunder

Have been wavering between FAs .454 Casull or Smiths PC .460 . Gotta admit this pushes me a little more to the 83.
And carguychris, love your quote by 'a man with no name'. I assume you know his name was actually Tuco Ramirez? (Eli Wallach) My favorite was "I like big, fat men like you. When they fall down, they make a lotta noise. And sometimes, they never get up."