S&W Nickel Chiefs Special - Model 36

Skans

Does anyone know if S&W still makes the Model 36 in Nickel? Or, when the last time they were produced? I recently purchased one of these and didn't think they were still in production, but I could be wrong.

Eddietruett

Yours should be a Model 36 or 36-1. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Nickel Model 36 was discontinued around 1987 or 1988 except for some special production runs. When the Classic series was introduced in 2007 there were nickel models made at that time but not sure for how long. I don't think Smith produces any of their models in nickel today

Skans

Yours should be a Model 36 or 36-1. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Nickel Model 36 was discontinued around 1987 or 1988

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. The Model 36 I recently purchased was manufactured in '80 or '81. It came with the original paperwork to the original owner, box etc.

SaxonPig

Incorrect slang term for the internal lock on most currently made S&W revolvers.

S&W still makes J frame 38s in various configurations but I don't if one specifically called a "Model 36" and looking like yours is still produced. The models have changed dramatically over the past 40 years.