S&W N frames vs. K frames

YosemiteSam357

Can anyone tell me the physical differences in the N frame vs. the K frame? I know it's more sturdy, and is used for larger bore guns; My question is, where is it bigger?

I did a quick comparison and think I see the lug where the barrel screws in is longer, and there appears to be more material in the front portion of the "window", but other than that nothing jumped out at me.

Thanks in advance,

-- Sam

Sir William

You didn't compare 1:1 examples side by side. A S&W N frame is larger and longer in every area. A S&W K frame id larger and longer in every area than a J frame. I own 0 L frame so, I don't know about them.

Dave Sample

J,K,L N frame S&W's differ all the way. J being the smallest, but N's may not be the biggest with the new .50 caliber types out. I have used J frame 5 shot .38 specials for off duty PC carry, I have used K frame Model 19/66's on various Jobs in .357 6 shooters, and I have used N frames in .41 Magnum, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt as duty weapons. The 686/586 is one I have not played with very much but I did tune a few in the good old days. They were full of junk/gook from the factory and the quality was gone. I never felt handicapped with a S&W revolver and the K frame Model 66 .357 Magnum was the best one they ever made. So of course, they quit making them recently. If you have a really great product that sells like crazy, do not make it any more! Life in 2005. If you are an old, well known gun factory, do everything you can to ruin your business. I am working on trying to figure out these new trends. So far I am still puzzled. Oh well........................

DHart

I own and shoot a number of J's, K's, L's, and N's and I have to mention that I think the L-frame 357's are the sweet spot for general use. They are big enough and beefy enough to take a lickin' and keep on tickin' for a long time. And they're comfortable to shoot heavy loads with. And they're smaller and more maneuverable than the N-frames. Personally, I think the 4" 586 is the sexiest and nicest shooting .357 going. And the early versions have superb triggers. Top drawer in .357's. I give an equal nod to the 686; they're easier to refinish as well, but just not as drop-dead-gorgeous as the blue 586.

586L_2403.jpg

586_R3061.jpg

586_LB1552.jpg

M586right_0700.jpg

586-5_L_6735.jpg

YosemiteSam357

My initial look was more toward the grip frame and "width" of the frame. After looking at the front lugs, thickness of the material around the window, etc, I see where they're beefier. I don't have an L to compare to, either.

Where I was really going with this was to try to compare the various S&W frames with Taurus frames. Taurus has what they call "compact" and "large" frame revolvers. However, it appears their "large" frame actually comes in multiple sizes; My 669 .357 is very similar to a K frame, if not exactly the same. My 44SS4 .44 mag has the same size grip frame as the 669 (takes the same grips), but the window, crane pivot, top strap, etc, are all beefier than the 669. While the 669 has almost exactly the same frame dimensions as the S&W K frame, the 44 does not appear to be quite the same as the S&W N frame.

Time to break out the calipers and get some actual figures. I'm just curious how the frames stack up.

Thanks for the replies.

-- Sam