S&W N frame Which do I have?

Kitgun

Hello all
This is my first post. Can't say enough about the Firing Line forum. A great place with lots of ideas and opinions.

One of the guns I inherited form my dad is a S&W N frame357 Highway Patrolman Mod. 28-2 serial No. N74XX . At one time my dad had two of these guns one he bought in the late 1960s & the other in the mid 70s. I have 2-questions concerning this piece:

1.) Which do I have the 60s or the 70s gun.

2.) There is some ware and tear around the inspection plate. If I were to have this gun refinished would you recommend the factory or a private gunsmith.

Thanks
Kitgun

C.R.Sam

Agree that you have the later one.

A shame that the sideplate edges are buggered. That is from somebody removing it without knowing how. I have no idea how much it would cost to clean that up but it could get pretty pricey. Lot of labor involved. How much depends on degree of dinging and if they involve the frame or just the sideplate.

But you do have one fine and proper platform for the .357 magnum. Full size for a full tilt cartridge.

With a modicum of care, your grandkids should be able to enjoy it.

Sam

Kitgun

Thanks for the Info. folks. Side plate damage is really minor so I think I'll just leave as is. Once again thanks.