S&W MP15 Sport II

akinswi

I recently purchased a New in the Box S&W MP15 Sport II, And I want to ditch the magpul flip of rear sight and get a nice detachable carry handle . One not made in china. any suggestions.

2nd anybody have barrel break in procedure for an AR 15? I know when I broke in a new barrel on a bolt action. I would shot.. clean.. shot… clean etc for several rds. These barrels are not chromed lined so im assuming i need to break it in.

Im a slip 2000 guy so im assuming I need to break it down and clean the oil from the factory and treat it with my Slip 2000 before firing it

Thanks

lunger

For the carry handle I got mine on E bay . Though not as common as they used to be, many are removed and sold off and replaced with optics .

Would not think any special break in necessary. The nitrite treatment used on the barrels is sufficient .

I have always thought it good practice to clean any new gun.

Enjoy your new rifle

44 AMP

Staff
Generally speaking, the "oil" in a new gun is a preservative, and may or may not do adequate lubrication. "New" guns may sit in their boxes for months or even years on dealer shelves before winding up in the hands of the end user, and so are "oiled" with a preservative, not just a lubricant.

Unless the factory specifically tells you not to, its best to clean off the preservative "oil" and replace it with the proper lube before use.

Shadow9mm

If your using slip 2000 (I do, good stuff) follow the directions. I would not worry about a barrel break in on an AR. Clean, lube, take it to the range, have some fun, clean, lube, repeat as desired.

Without getting to crazy deep, I don't buy into barrel break in. I have read a lot going both ways. I have seen competition shooters say you don't need it. I have seen people say competition shooters use custom barrels that are better and factory rifles do need it. I have tried it, I found it made no difference for me and in a budget friendly AR, I would not worry about it. It should shoot around 1moa with good ammo. Last I checked those rifles had Nitrided barrels, which makes the metal VERY hard on the surface, kind of like a modern case hardening. You could do a full break in process several times and probably not make any progress.

Applications
Slip 2000 EWL is formulated to meet the complete requirements of cleaning, lubricating, and preserving both small and large caliber weapons in virtually all climate conditions. Apply to weapons metal surface liberally on first application. Allow to penetrate surface on first application approximately 5 to 10 min. Wipe excess lubricant from surface to leave a dry surface to the touch. This will also help when it comes to dirt not sticking to a dry weapon. As weapons are used and heat up the Slip 2000 will penetrate even deeper into the pores of the metal. On second cleaning these pores will fill in with additional Lubricant and a new protective barrier will be formed making the second cleaning much easier and faster.

P.S. the Magpul flip up sights are USA made https://magpul.com/mbus-sight-rear.html?mp_global_color=118. If you look under the add to cart button on their site it says
MADE & ENGINEERED IN THE USA

but a carry handle would be cool

Last edited:

akinswi

Shadow, The flip-up sights are nice , but no elevation adjustment only can adjust for windage., Im so use to the A2 rear sight I hate changing, I like simple things that work and that A2 rear sight is my second favorite sight next to an M1 rear sight.

But again its 16 inch carbine vs my full length 20 inch M15A2 so probably dont need to much elevation adjustment since 300 to 400 yards is pretty much max on that 16 inch barrel

Unclenick introduced me to slip 2000 and its been a great product for me.

Shadow9mm

in a 16in carbine for a combat sight, you can zero at 25yds and can hit from 25 out to 250 with minimal issues, and hold overs after that. If you looking for a precision sight with exacy yardage marking you can get the handle. But it is calibrated for a very specific ammo. If your ammo is not the exact same, the graduated adjustments will be off and you will still be holding over.

jetinteriorguy

Shadow, The flip-up sights are nice , but no elevation adjustment only can adjust for windage., Im so use to the A2 rear sight I hate changing, I like simple things that work and that A2 rear sight is my second favorite sight next to an M1 rear sight.

But again its 16 inch carbine vs my full length 20 inch M15A2 so probably dont need to much elevation adjustment since 300 to 400 yards is pretty much max on that 16 inch barrel

Unclenick introduced me to slip 2000 and its been a great product for me.
Love Slip 2000, I use it to clean my bores as well as lube. I used to clean my bores, then run a patch of oil through for storage. When I switched to Slip 2000 I noticed them coming out black even after cleaning the bore so I just started using it for cleaning and it works great.

akinswi

I found Slip 2000 works way better if you use a degreaser and get all the old oil and lubricants off first. But you are correct its way easier to clean a bore with it especially chromed lined ones . The carbon buildup literally wipes off and copper and lead fouling is 10 times easier to remove. I haven’t noticed much on a steel barrel tho, Or older milsurp barrels with frosting in the bores etc, probably due to conventional methods you can never really get these bores totally clean, so the slip sits on top of old grease,oil cosmoline etc.

If you haven’t tried the 30 weight its great too.

Break-in ?

First, I never was, and will never be an "expert" on any gun, nor have very developed shooting skills. Now that this "wannabe (SEAL) Team member" is finally exposed.....;)

A comment on another gun board such as HKPro, Gunboards, Original CZ etc stated that a modern >> Barrel Maker << was the first guy to slip a "Break-In" procedure sheet into boxes he shipped.

He anticipated that much more ammo might be used in his new barrels, and extra wear would create a better market for his products.

I have no idea where it began, but If all else were 'equal', the concept might have some perceived benefit to corporate attorneys.

Last edited: