S&W MP Sport II vs. Ruger AR?

This is my last question and comparison before heading out to both the gun show and two local, privately-owned gun shops later today.

With most of my reading and in person chatting being about the S&W, does the nearly-identical $700-$750 Ruger seem to have equal reliability/durability and factory support etc?

marine6680

Reliability... I doubt there is much difference. Both are budget guns, but made by respected companies.

The Ruger has a CHF barrel, but it may or may not be nitrided.

Both are good options.

There is a Youtube video where the Ruger's take down pins required a hammer and punch to remove them. But maybe this trait is a rare exception.

The guys who compared both guns also stated that the Ruger's wide, round D (?) ring can be tightened such that it required a very long time to loosen.

9x19

If you have no desire to make changes, the Ruger is a good gun, but it has a few proprietary bits that can get in the way. (Threaded delta ring, gas block pinned on opposite side). Nothing that can't be worked, just a bit more trouble.

smee78

For the average shooter both are fine guns, both companies have a good record for customer service and both rifles are more than most will need from an AR platform. I have shot both and cant complain about either.

If the Sport is at the same price or cheaper, I'd go that route as Ruger's budget AR has a few weird proprietary parts. If the Ruger was, say $100 cheaper? I'd go Ruger.

Honestly, with PSA's going for $520 where all you have to do is bolt the upper to the lower and drop in a charging handle and BCG, that would probably be my choice for a budget AR.

Pacman

+1 on the Palmetto. I have two that are tack drivers. If you catch the Premium uppers on sale (barrel made by FN), you have a great, accurate gun.

Thanks again for the advice.
It was decision time, bought the S&W Sport II, in the box. The stores did not have the Ruger, and the FN carbine's $1,000 price could not be justified for basic plinking (after recent acquisitions).

The only change needed is to find a pretty firm slip-on pad to lengthen the fully extended butt stock another 1-2". I'm 5' 11".

Already have a rubbery 1" slip on pad for my pair of SKS, but it is too spongy and flexible.

What other really Low-cost pad do other guys find available which feels pretty firm?

redlightrich

Hello, I recently cross shopped as well. The Ruger and SW were the exact price amount. My LGS kept trying to sell "lifetime warranty" on the SW, but lets face it, Ruger will fix it too. Also most AR items are easily fixed at home.

The Ruger has a few unusual items, but nothing that changes the spirit of the gun.

As a rule, I like to support Ruger and would have bought it but I really did not need another AR platform. When I heard about the outlandish law change in Massachusetts, I went out to buy another AR just because. My LGS only had SW at that point and I bought it.

I ran 100 rounds thru it without a hiccup. It seemed almost as accurate as my 20" barrel AR. Also, I am not sure if I just got lucky, but my SW has the best trigger of all my ARs.

Hope this helped

Rich