S&W Model 986 problems

Deaf Smith

Well one of my friends has a 696 9mm 7 shot revolver. Brand new.

I noticed that on every chamber it failed to lock up.

That is the hand seems to be short and if you slowly cock it, it needs to be rotated by hand to get it to lock in the bolt. Not much rotation but defiantly you do have to rotate the cylinder by hand to hear that 'click' as the bolt pops into the notch at the bottom of the cylinder.

Is this normal?

Thanks,

Deaf

Venom1956

that can't be normal.

I bet the issue might be the titanium cylinder? it doesn't have enough mass to keep the momentum up when it slow cocked to get to lock up. Does that make sense the way I typed it? :(

MrBorland

Venom1956 said:
it doesn't have enough mass to keep the momentum up when it slow cocked to get to lock up.

It shouldn't need momentum to lock up. I agree the hand's likely too short.

Does it only happen when the cylinder's empty? If so, check for rotational play of the ejector star when empty.

Venom1956

normally no i agree but he said the issue is cocking it slow vs DA where the momentum is greater allowing it to lock up fine. Im not saying its normal im just saying that could be the issue.

smee78

It souds like the hand needs adjustment, it should come to lock weather it is cocked slow or fast.

Deaf Smith

My friend agreed with me. The gun dealer sent it back to S&W for repair.

I told him ALL S&W wheelguns lock just before full cock.

Deaf

James K

Member In Memoriam
Well, no. Unlike the old Colt "two step" hand, the S&W hand does not actually push the cylinder into lock. Instead it slips up past the ratchet tooth, so if there is some wear or a slight tolerance in the machining of the ratchet, the cylinder will not have that final "push". But that is not usually a factor in practice, since the rotational inertial of the cylinder will carry it up to full lock. It is only when the cylinder is rotated (i.e., the hammer is cocked) very slowly or the cylinder is actually held back that the cylinder won't "carry up."

Some folks get a bit hyper about cyliinder carryup, one gentleman insisting that his Colt was defective in that regard. He tested it using a strap wrench to hold the cylinder back! Of course, the gun was defective when "tested" that way.

Jim

MrBorland

James K said:
if there is some wear or a slight tolerance in the machining of the ratchet, the cylinder will not have that final "push".

Rotational wear or tolerance of the ratchet is why I asked if it only failed to lock up when empty. Could be fine with empty cases loaded, in which case, it'll be fine with live ammo, too.

Deaf Smith

Let me put it this way gang,

Some people DO cock their gun slowly before letting off a shot. Thus they want it to LOCK before they finish cocking.

Especially if the gun is dirty from shooting (thus drag on the cylinder.)

Deaf