S&W Model 686 info.

sarge83

At the local pawn shop I ran across a S&W Model 686 in, 4 inch barrel, pre-lock, LNIB yesterday afternoon. Passed the March revolver test easily and had no signs of scratches or nicks, looked like it just came from the factory. Asking price $399 OTD. Good, bad, maybe? Thanks!

redrick

It's good to know my old 686 is an investment , I paid $330 for it in 89 and I would not sell it for $400 , it's a good price get it quick .

Alexa

Sarge83 said:
"At the local pawn shop I ran across a S&W Model 686 in, 4 inch barrel, pre-lock, LNIB yesterday afternoon. Asking price $399 OTD."

I bought one of these babies yesterday for the same price from a local gun shop. It didn't have a box but they substituted another. I made out like a bandit. What a beauty it is!

When I walked in I asked if they had any pre-locks. One guy showed me a 640. I said, no, something bigger. The other guy pulled out the 686. I guess the first guy thought I wanted a lighter gun. The 686, 4", has the perfect weight for me. I couldn't be happier. I'm hope you're just as pleased with yours. :)

Thanks to Jim for his purchasing guidelines.

E.J.W.

:confused:
Just a quick question....
I see the term "pre-lock" being refered to in this post.
What does it refer to?
Thanks
E.

KyJim

I see the term "pre-lock" being refered to in this post.
What does it refer to?

For the last several years, all SW revolvers (with one exception I am aware of) have a key lock hole on the left revolver plate, just above the cylinder latch. It has a small key to lock it to prevent firing -- much like placing a locking device on the trigger. Many people do not like these locks for several reasons I won't go into now. I've never actually met or heard of anybody using these locks.