S&W model 66

Tim Whittaker

I found a used model 66 and I think I'm in love. I regularly carry a 686 but I sometimes find that it's a little big for CC. I tend to shoot my carry guns alot and will more than likely put alot of full-house .357's through the gun. In your opinion, will I be better off just staying with the 686? Are the K-frames significantly weaker than the L-frames? (top strap erosion, forcing cone cracking?) Seems that I hear about these problems but have never actually seen them first hand. Thanks in advance for any help. .........Whit

lonegunman

There are some things that are talked about much more than actually happen.

Examples:
Beretta slides breaking
Glocks Kabooming
Pythons going out of time
S&W 66's "wearing out"

If the 66 appeals to you, by all means get it. You will be too old (or cold) to shoot when it needs fixing.

I would say that if you shoot many full-house, 125 grain, .357 Magnum JHP's, your M66 will not last as long.

I use 158 grain, .38 Special LSWCHP's in the M66. This load is accurate and controllable for me.

If I needed to rely on the M66 in bear country, I would use the full-house, 158 grain, .357 Mags.

Dfariswheel

The 2 1/2" M-66 is THE classic defense snubby. I have a 2 1/2" and a rare early 3". They are an ideal comprimise between compactness, and "shootability". It's apparent why the M-65 (essentually the same gun with fixed sights) was the FBI gun for years.
In a 4" version, you have a more compact, lighter carry gun than the M-686.
I totally recommend either barrel length. I doubt that you will ever wear one out, even with magnum loads.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's All;

I think a good, used Smith & Wesson model 66
will long surpass most of us; if the weapon
has been taken care of. By all means, if a
model 66 is what your heart desires; then
grab it while you can.

Keep 'em All In The X,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.