S&W Model 66 vs. 686

Which gun would you sell?

• Model 66

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • Model 686

Votes: 27 52.9%

• Total voters

David the Gnome

I own a S&W model 66 no-dash and a model 686 no-dash, both 4" guns. I love them both equally. The 686 is stamped NHSP (New Hampshire State Police) which makes it somewhat interesting as a state police gun but the Mod 66 is also a Police trade-in, albeit without any markings. If you were forced to get rid of one of these guns and keep the other, which one would you get rid of?

Model 66
mod66polish01.jpg

Model 686
swmod68601.jpg

Wyoredman

I can't vote on this! Are you the devil, trying to get me to make the wrong decision? I won't be able to sleep tonight, with the seriousness of this evil question lingering in my thoughts. Thanks allot!:eek:

gunhand

Don't Sell!

They literally don't make em like that anymore. Is this gun being sold to finance life saving surgery?

highpower3006

Well..... the 66 no dash's, particularly those with stainless sights like yours, are becoming very desirable collector items. While any pre-lock Smith is going to hold it's value, I would say that your 66, even with the replacement stocks, is currently worth more than the 686.

The question I have is why get rid of either? The few hundred dollars you would get for selling one would evaporate from your pocket in a short period of time and then you would have neither the gun nor the money.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

surveyor

well, if I had to sell one..(and I'd try to avoid it if at all possible)

it would boil down to the following..
if I enjoyed shooting 357's (and particularly 125 gr) and hotter loads
I'd keep the 686..

if I enjoyed shooting 158 gr 357's, I'd probably keep the 66

If I enjoyed shooting 38's, I'd keep the 66

If I was looking at it from a safe queen status, I'd keep the 66
as its P&R and older..

both are nice examples, and would make a hard choice..

personal preference mainly..

(and I'm not going to vote on selling either..lol)

skidder

Well..... the 66 no dash's, particularly those with stainless sights like yours, are becoming very desirable collector items. While any pre-lock Smith is going to hold it's value, I would say that your 66, even with the replacement stocks, is currently worth more than the 686.
I would have to agree, but both are fine weapons.

mcd_sports

Judging by the responses (I'm a gun newbie, but both look awesome), I'd say if something is forcing you to sell one of them...put it up for sale here. You'll get tons of interest.... Including from me..The Gun Newbie.

roaddog28

I have owned one model 66 and two 686s 4 inch. I sold both 686s and kept my 66. Reason, the K frame magnum is the finest all around revolver for carrying and shooting. The myth about shooting 357 magnums is myth. Stay with 158 gr and your model 66 will out last you.
Not many revolvers balances as well as a K frame.
Enough said,
Howard

skidder

I have owned one model 66 and two 686s 4 inch. I sold both 686s and kept my 66. Reason, the K frame magnum is the finest all around revolver for carrying and shooting. The myth about shooting 357 magnums is myth. Stay with 158 gr and your model 66 will out last you.
Not many revolvers balances as well as a K frame.
Enough said,
Howard
I agree.
I had a 66 once and sold it :( (about 15 years ago). The only reason I don't own another is I stumbled on the Security Sixes while looking for a 66. They feel pretty close to the 66 and that is why I like them.

bamaranger

both

I've carried both extensively in a duty rig, and always felt the 686 was too darn big. Mine weighed more than a 629 Mtn revolver in .44! For daily carry on belt festooned with other gear, it was too much gun. The 686 always felt like a boat anchor compared to a 66/19.

BAck in those days, I thought if I wanted a heavy framed .357, I'd get a M28/27 and be done with it. For me, the 686 was the answer to a question not asked.

18DAI

If forced to choose between the two models, I'd take the 66.

The K-frames handle faster and point more naturally, for me. And unlike some I'm not afraid to shoot 357 magnums out of my K-frame magnums. Been doing it for decades without a problem. :)

I've got some very nice L-frames. The CS1, 686-4 plus, 686-3 Midnight black, PC 586-5 L-comp, ect. I find them to be nice range guns and good training revolvers for new shooters.

For serious work or competition, make mine a 66. Regards 18DAI

dahermit

You would have to determine what you do the most of. Mostly carry, keep the 66. If you shoot factory level .357 most of the time rather than carry, keep the 686. Are you a "shooter" or a "carryer"?

BigJimP

I'd keep the model 66 as well over the 686 .../and then take the money and put it toward a model 27 ( N frame)....but that's just me....:D

MR.G

Years ago I had to make the same decision. I sold the 66 and kept the 686. Regret selling the 66 and should have kept them both. Both are great guns.