S&W Model 66 3" Fans

18DAI

Anyone else a fan of the Model 66 3" barrel? I have been carrying mine daily since I qualified with it last month. I got the bug for one about 18 months ago when I saw one of DHarts beautiful photos. I found mine in January at an area gunshow. It's a 66-4. It has a case hardened combat hammer and trigger ,and a pinned red ramp front sight. Does anyone know how many of these were made? I heard of a batch of 2500 for Ashland Shooting Supply in Ohio in the mid eighties. Also was told that it was the issue weapon of the California Bureau of Narcotics. Don't know how many they ordered ,or what became of them. I'm aware of at least one run in the late nineties for RSR distibuting as well. To me, it is the ideal CCW piece. At work I carry it in a Don Hume paddle for a 4" K frame. On the weekend it goes in a G&G belt slide. The stainless makes it low maintenance in the miserably hot and humid NC Spring and Summer. The gun is as accurate as any 4" ,and to me, they really got the barrel profile right on this one. Apparently this 3" model is in great demand from collectors. On another forum, the ones that show up in the classifieds don't last long. Some go for as much as $500-$600. Those boy's must really like em. Thanks in advance for any info. Regards 18DAI.

Bulldozer

Here's my 66-2 3-inch. The best carry piece I've ever had.

DSC00280.jpg

DSC00285.jpg

BLACKCARRYGEAR.jpg

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
I have a 2.5" S&W model 66-4 six shot .357 magnum as well. I replaced
the huge rubber grips with the traditional walnut K-frame grips with the
S&W logo; thus making it one of my favorite revolvers~!:D

Dfariswheel

The best of all worlds. Have BOTH:
Model66Small.jpg

Seriously, the 3" S&W just MIGHT be the ultimate personal defense revolver, and the Model 66 version has just about everything you could hope for.

The 3" barrel balances better, has the full length ejection stroke of the 4" guns, and you have NO doubts about being under-gunned.
The sights are as good as any ever put on a revolver, and the S&W action is rightly famed for allowing fast, accurate double action shooting.

And as one writer had it: "These short S&W "K" frame revolvers have a particularly bellicose appearance, that makes it clear to Bad Guys that they're going to get MORE then just hurt".

About the only option that MIGHT conceivably be better is a S&W "K" frame Model 65 with the hammer spur removed.

Gonzo_308

About the only option that MIGHT conceivably be better is a S&W "K" frame Model 65 with the hammer spur removed.

I theory I agree with you but I like the taller sight radius of the 66 vs. the 65. I got the C&S rear sight to replace the factory S&W and it's snag free.

The hammer is a whole 'nother matter though.

I'm still confused about the model 65HB being a "LadySmith"

I guess it's like anything else. In regards to Smith and Wesson marketing and design, the more you are able to do the less you know what to do.

a 3" (no comps cut in my bbl please) L frame would fly off the shelves in .357, 9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm....

Hell, I'd collect the whole dang set.

DWARREN123

I have a 60-15 I picked up about a month ago, like it but the quality could be better. Use a Bianchi 7/7L pancake, rides very good.

Jack Malloy

I had planned on buying one of the three inchers with the HI Viz sights, but by the time I got some income tax money back, they discontinued the 65....
I look for em used, but they usually go into the stratosphere when they pop up on the auction sites. Till I can find one, I think I will make do with my 3 inch 65.

BlueTrain

I for one happen to like revolvers with three-inch barrels, not that I have one at the moment. I especially liked the Ladysmith variation but I would not believe it was any better for shooting. I even had a 3" barrel hammerless J Frame but that particular combination was a little unusual (and now there is a five inch J Frame).

The Model 547, if I remember correctly, which was a 9mm chambered K-frame, came with a slightly shortened hammer spur. I don't believe they ever did that on any other model. The one I had was a four-inch version.

I have seen Colts with three-inch barrels. I don't know if that was a Detective Special or a Police Positive Special, since the only difference was the barrel length. It would seem they would have been rare but I have seen more than one--perhaps the same one twice. As I said, I like the three inch barrels.

I'm not so sure about the adjustable sights on such a revolver, however. Apart from the snag problem for those of us who still like polyester leisure suits, I think it gives a false impression for the capabilities of the handgun or a misleading idea of what the gun is intended to be used for. Of course, I could be wrong.

Harry Callahan

I also have the Model 66-7 2.5" barrel, but must admit if the 3" was available I probably would have gotten that instead. Dfariswheel, those are PERTY!

Marko Kloos

Nothing wrong with that 64...it'll do anything that needs doing with .38 +P, and you won't have to worry about scrubbing out cylinder rings after shooting plain vanilla .38 Special for practice. I carry its blued twin, the 3" Model 10.

The 3" K-frames are the apex in carry revolvers. However, I prefer mine in the fixed-sight flavor...less to snag, less sharp corners, and nothing to get knocked out of alignment.

That said, I'd be on a 3" 66 like white on rice if one ever showed itself on the gun store shelf in these parts.

denfoote

I'm confused!!

What's the difference between the 65 and the 66??
Is it just the adjustable sights??
I mean, they are both k-frames, right??
They are both .357mag, right??
They both have six shot cylinders, right??
Both are stainless, right, or is the 66 nickle??
This confusion needs to be rectified!!

Marko Kloos

65 has fixed sights and an unshrouded ejector rod.

66 has adjustable sights and a shrouded ejector rod.

Exception is the 65LS, which has fixed sights, but a shrouded ejector rod like the 66.

All are stainless, and they're all K-frames...same gun, essentially.

Bulldozer

Here is a side by side of a 66 and a 65LS.

DSC00283.jpg

DSC00284.jpg

PAIROF3-INCHK-FRAMES.jpg

The 65LS is not my cup of tea compared to the 3" Model 66. I am considering parting with it. It has less than 300 rounds through the gun.

18DAI

Thanks to all who responded ,I really enjoyed the photos too. I thought I'd let you all know that one was just listed on S&W forum for $650. Some expressed interest in getting one. This one appears to be from the Ashland Supply order. Thanks again! Regards 18DAI.