S&W Model 64

LBC

Am I crazy? I'm just back from my dealer's and he has a NIB S&W Model 64 (.38 Special) in a 3 inch heavy barrel. I've never seen such a gun before. Is this unusual? Price is $410. I know some people won't touch new S&W's because of the agreement. I'm just wondering if this is a regularly cataloged item or something special.

Not common, but not unusual.

Both the 3 and 4" barreled guns were offered from the get go when the gun was introduced in 1970/71.

Scarborough

Well it was'nt unusual. Since the sellout I have not kept up with S&W's product line. Ask the dealer if this is a N.I.B. pre-agreement gun. Also does it have the hammer mounted firing pin and the non beveled cylinder latch. The price seems a bit high for my area but we have a shortage of S&W products new or used so it may be what the market will bear elsewhere. In any event a 3'' K- frame is a nice gun.

jambone357

My wife shoots the 64

Her's is 3 inch HB, fixed sights in .38 special. They also made one in .357 labeled the Model 65

Her's is "pre-agreement"...though an action job was done, swapped out the oldstyle cylinder release for the newer type from S&W off my 625 ( I had replaced that with the Ed Brown's)

She loves it..it is her bedside pistol ...shoots point of aim with 158gr +P LSWCHP

she also owns a 2" Model 10 nd a 4" 586...but she loves that little stainless one.

Just my and HER opinion :)

Ken B.:)

Hutch

The 3-inch round-butt K-frame is my all-time all-timer. I have model 13 (ugly in nickel) and She Who Must Be Obeyed carries the M65. That M65 has about the sweetest trigger I've ever owned. A 3-inch M64 would suit me just fine, as well. I'd trust the FBI load in it with my life.