S&W Model 64 or Ruger GP100

osallent

I have a confession to make....a few years ago I had several revolvers, and I sold them all so I could buy semi-auto plastic bricks to be like everyone else. However, I kept one, a S&W 642 Talo Delux model. The fact is that no matter how many plastic bricks I bought, I always felt empty and would go back to my S&W for concealed carry. Yes, the plastic bricks can carry 16+ rounds of 9MM, but they never felt as good as carrying my little snubby.

I managed to borrow a S&W 686 from one of my closest friends in order to fill the void, but after 2 years I feel guilty that I still have his revolver. I know he is a great guy and won't ask me to give him the revolver (like I said, he is a great friend) but I feel guilty about this arrangement, so it's time to buy one of my own and return the revolver to it's rightful owner.

I've sold my "tactical" wonder bricks off, and I am considering buying either a S&W Model 64 (.38+P) or a Ruger GP100 (.357 magnum) with a 4 inch barrel in order to compliment my snubby as my CCW weapon. I know a lot of you guys don't like modern S&W because of the "Hillary (censored):p" but my snubby has one and it has never bothered me. So other than the lock which is not an issue for me, which one would you think would be better for my purpose? Do you have any preference between these two revolvers?

PS: Am not looking to replace my 642, I love that little gun...but it would be nice to have a companion for it....one that isn't on loan from a friend.

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

Hello osallent,,,

If it's really going to be your CCW I would go with the S&W Model 64 over the Ruger GP-100,,,
The S&W K-frame is one of the best handling revolvers ever made,,,
My personal opinion of the GP-100 is that it's unbalanced.

There is a bit of weight difference as well,,,
With a 4" barrel the 64 weighs 35.5 oz,,,
The 4" GP-100 weighs 40 oz,,,
Not a ton of difference,,,
But you will feel it.

Also for a carry gun I don't really need adjustable sights,,,
The Ruger has them and the S&W does not.

But here's the real dope my friend,,,
Both are fine firearms and either will serve you well,,,
So the best thing you can do is to go and handle each of them.

Buy the one that feels the best in your hands,,,
One will make your smile bigger,,,
Buy that one for yourself.

Aarond

spacecoast

A new Model 64 is probably going to set you back in the neighborhood of $450 I would guess (MSRP=$689). A new GP-100 will be a bit more. Rather than going that route, there are all kinds of used 64s available on Gunbroker that will be barely half that, maybe even $200 or less. I bought a couple of 1980s-era 64-3s of years ago and have been very pleased.

twin64s.jpg

napg19

Never shot either gun, but found the GP100 alittle big for me for CCW. I got a Ruger SP101 with 3" barrel (cause I wanted a .357) and put Houge rubber monogrip on it for better handling .357 loads. Conceals real good with a Don Hume owb holster, a iwb Simply Rugged holster and nylon iwb holsters.

boa2

You could also look for a 4" GP100 with the short barrel shroud-which only came with "Fixed sights". These were discontinued a few years ago. But, you can find them used either in blue or stainless. There were also police trade in's. They were made in both, .38 Special and in .357 magnum calibers. These half lug barrel GP100's weighed approximately 4-1/2 ounces less than the full lug GP100's. Here is a photo of my blue 4" half lug GP100(.357 Mag.)which weighed 35.5 ounces on my postal scale-so, this is equal to the 4" S&W M64, pictured above:
P1000451.jpg

kraigwy

I use a Model 64 Smith in ICORE, this would be a no-brainer to me. This is the smoothest fastest revolver I ever had.

If I was going for the extra weight you find in the Ruger, I'd go find a Model 28 27.

I carried the Model 28 for most of my 20 years in LE. I tried to switch out to the Ruger a time or two but that didn't pan out. Neigther Colt or Rugers fit me as well as Smiths, but that's just me, everyone has differant hands and methods of shooting.

Eagle0711

I let a model 64 get away in a trade, and have regretted it.

I would go with the model 64 because it will completment your S&W snubby the best. Similiar feel on the trigger and ergonomics, and the cyl. latch is the same. Plus it's lighter. And of course what Kraig said. It will likely be more accurate with 38 specials because of less jump to the forcing cone.

If, on the other you want to shoot 357s for self-defense then the Ruger would fit your needs the best. Both are great revolvers.

osallent

Man, this is a hard decision. Great pictures of the older S&W Model 64 revolvers. Perhaps I should give gunbroker a try.

I have never owned a Ruger...are they really tougher than a S&W? I've heard Ruger makes some tough revolvers, built like tanks.

aarondhgraham

Tougher?,,,

are they really tougher than a S&W?

I think a lot of that "tougher than a S&W" might come from comparing apples and oranges.

Comparing a Ruger (even the older "six" series guns) to a S&W K-frame you can say the Ruger is probably tougher,,,
Comparing a Ruger to a S&W N-frame and it's anyones guess which is tougher.

Also a lot of the "Ruger is tougher" legend comes from their single action Blackhawk and double-action Redhawk guns,,,
These things were originally designed and built with maximum strength in mind as hunting handguns.

You will hear a lot about "Ruger only" hand-loaded cartridges,,,
Some claim they will blow up a S&W Model 29 .44 Magnum.

Apparently there is some basis in fact for that school of thought,,,
But again the "Ruger is tougher" statement really only applies when comparing similar handguns.

One thing that's almost always true,,,
They are danged heavy guns.

Here's a statement that will generally be true,,,
When comparing them to pretty much any make of gun,,,
If the frame size is the same the Ruger will be at least a few ounces heavier.

This is my not-so-humble opinion,,,
I'm certain that someone will come along soon with the opposite to mine. ;)

Aarond

charleym3

What's it for?

I prefer to carry a revolver to an auto, mainly because I prefer a round gun to a bottom feeder, but that asside, I carried a 4 inch GP100 for a while. It got heavy quickly. Now I carry a well travelled 64-8 RB with Remington Golden Saber rounds and one Safariland Comp-2 speed loader. The S&W still gets heavy at times, but not like the KGP141. It's amazing that 5 ounces makes such a difference to me.
The gun by my bed is a KGP160(no lug) w/night sights. Another well travelled classic that's out of production.

If there's room in your safe and wallet, get both!

Edit addition:
J&G sales in Prescott AZ gets a shipment of 64s every so often. They usually go in the $180 range. Add shipping and FFL transfers and they're reight at $250 delivered. I bought two.

Last edited:

BigJimP

I prefer the S&W's over all of the Rugers ...fit, finish, and quality of the triggers - in my opinion - all go to S&W.

I think the model 64 K frame is a good gun / but in a K frame 4" I prefer the model 19's ( they came blued or in Nickel finish ) - or the model 66's in stainless. I like the option to shoot .357's / or .38's in these other models ...and while they're a little heavier / in a good holster you won't notice the difference and the extra weight makes them shoot a little better in eitiher .38's or .357 mag.

To me the 4" guns are significantly easier to shoot than the snubbies - and a good compromise / although I've recently added a model 66-1 in a snubbie to my collection as well. Its really no difference to carry the 4" over the snubbie ( I use the same holster ).

roaddog28

Either one would be a good choice. Of course the GP100 is built to take a steady diet of 357 magnums. I have one and that is what I shoot. If I want to shoot 38 specials either +P or standard pressure I have a model 10,13,19,66 and a Ruger Police Service Six. All of these are lighter than a GP100 or a S&W 686. If you don't know what a Ruger Police Service Six looks like I have one and will include a picture. You can find one used for about $300. They are very strong and can take it.

Good luck,
Howard
RugerServiceSix.jpg

sarge83

My local shop has a model 64 with a 3 inch barrel that is in good to very good condition. Wants $400 for it. Already got two guns in layaway wife would probably kill me if I put another one. It's really a nice looking revolver.

boa2

In truth, the S&W L-frame and the GP100 are equivalent in weight, ranging from 35 oz to 44 oz for all barrel lengths. The same is true for the S&W K-frame model 19(as an example)and the Ruger Security-Six ranging from 30.5 oz to 39 oz for all barrel lengths.:eek::D

jrhilde

I've owned 19's, 686's a 27 and 28 and two model 29's--my problem is it's just too easy to talk me into selling a gun--right now I have a 6" GP100 in stainless and I love it--you are all right, the Smith has a slightly better fit and finish and almost always a smoother action, but don't underate the Rugers, they are very strong and dependable--mine is as accurate as my Smiths were or at least I shoot it as well--none of you have mentioned the front lock-up on the Rugers, to my way of thinking, it's definately a stronger design than the pin in the front of the ejector rod and the top strap is thicker, but, they are both excellent guns--I've been a Smith lover my whole life and have just recently really noticed the Rugers, I'm going to hang on to this one and I'm sure that at some point, it'll be joined by another Smith & Wesson-------John PS, check out those charcoal laminated grip inserts !!

Attachments

• IMG_2092.jpg
    IMG_2092.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 27

Venom1956

the 4" HS fixed sight is a great piece. If I could carry it would probably be my piece. Simple, rugged, six .357s, whats not to like? :D Boas looks exactly like mine. the Compact grips and the sights make all the difference. looking at my Phoenix I doubt I would carry that concealed unless i had to... waaaaaaay to many snags and such. the top of my HS is smooth only draw back is you might miss the extra weight upfront when your at the range. the full lug makes a difference.

Last edited: