S&W model 60 questions

onlybrowning

I came upon a S&W model 60 today. I know nothing about identifying smiths, but it said it on the tag. It is a 2" barrel .38 special with a 5 shot cylinder. It is stainless steel and has the firing pin on the hammer. There is also no lock on it. It is in seriously 99% condition. I have never seen a revolver lock up so tight (of course I took it through the tests that are posted on this forum :) ). The price is $250. Is this a really good deal? At other gun shops in the area, they are selling beat up S&W model 35's (?) for $250, and used Taurus 85's for $250.
So what say you? Buy because of the deal or wait for one cheaper?

The Terminator

I would buy it. I paid $250 for mine, and felt that it was really a steal. Get it! Best -

2102129AnkleCarry002.jpg

Gonzo_308

38+p should be fine and yes, the original model 60 was essentially a stainless variant of the model 36 Cheif's Special.

nice guns. and yes, it's a good deal.

Diggers

Funny, I just asked the ".38 or .357 in model 60" question at another thread.

I was told the 60 was first made in .38 then later was changed to .357.....so that must be an older model (obviously with the firing pin on the hammer :p )

The m60's were originally in .38spl and had the exposed ejector rod. The newer ones have the shrouded ejector and are chambered for .357mag.

I think the barrel length is actually 1 7/8" on the snubbies but it might be 2".

NCHornet

I have the same gun and YES it is a great deal and you better grab it before somebody who knows about guns does or the price goes up. Put some Hogue grips on it and you will have a nice sidearm!!

lockedcj7

Buy it! I have the airweight variant of the same gun. I paid $300 plus tax for mine and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot +P's in it.

IDLH1950

In my neck of the woods, that price is a steal. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The model 60 is the stainless version of the model 36. It is a 1 7/8 barrel, but commonly referred to as a 2 inch barrel. Great revolvers! :)

Mikeyboy

Ditto. I got an old .38 S&W model 60. Great gun. $250 was the price I paid for it 3 years ago, and my had some minor flaws, so you definately got a good buy. The only problem is it is heavy for CCW, but that is because its all steal. It great for someone who might be recoil shy with a lightweight .38.

onlybrowning

I put it on hold. Just gotta come up with the rest of the change, and get it put on my permit (booo!!!). It is indeed an older model. The ejector rod is exposed, and the firing pin is on the hammer. I can't believe it is old, I will post pics of it when I get it. :D

onlybrowning

"The only problem is it is heavy for CCW"

On smith's website, they list the model 60 at 22.8oz. That is awfully light for someone used to carrying a 36oz GP100. :p

skeeter1

Buy it!!!

I've had a Smith M60 since 1980, and yes the older ones were .38Spl only. I wrote to qa@smith-wesson.com and was told it is safe to use with +P ammo.

Smith changed the M60 to a .357 chambering in 1996. Current price for them in excellent condition is ~$350. My way of saying that's a good deal. After all, you can skip buying food for a while, right?

Of all of the firearms I have, the M60 is one of my favorites, and the one I keep close to the bed if I need one for HD. Check here, and you'll see that it's a rather impressive little handgun.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22896&d=1171670300

I wouldn't give it up for anything. :D

SWANDOG

Buy It Fast! I Have The Same Revolver & Paid Over $275.00 For It Twenty Yaers Ago. It Shoots 38+p Rounds Fine. If You Have Large Hands You Put Bigger Grips On It, But The Factory Grips Work Better For Ccw Aplications.