S&W model 52s

Drm50

Shot some 38sp WCs this morning in m52 & m52-1 S&Ws this morning. Only shoot 2 pistols. Just bought the the one 2nd from right and wanted to try it out. The one with Herett grips on right is my go to shooter.
The latest acquisition has some blue off, mostly from target weight scooting around. I wanted a 52 that I can experiment a little. Have decided to come up with a field carry 52. I’ve got a couple magazine bodies with no springs or followers. Im going to see if I can up the capacity 2 or 3 rounds. At same time for winter project experiment with special 38sp short loads with OAL of 38sp WC.
Just finished setting up an old M41 with 5” Field Barrel & Herett 1911 style grips.
13d1078b4c3ec46a0d45975d7643145e.jpg

7ff1a36956c43ad6931007a171a0c1fd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HighValleyRanch

I was always tempted to try those HST wadcutters in my SW52, but never did as it probably would need heavier springs for the +P rating.
I did find a few articles about modifying the magazine to hold one more round by enlarging the button slot, but mags were so expensive, I never tried that either.

Drm50

I’m not interested in jacking up velocity. I have north of 50 CF revolvers, most 357, 44 and 45s. The only gun that is running hot and jacketed is an old 3screw SBH. Hornady 240JHP
Was my official deer shooter. Over the years went to 44 and 45 cast between 800-1000fps and found at reasonable ranges they kill well. I wouldn’t shoot deer with downloaded 38sp but wouldn’t hesitate on anything smaller.

Drm50

A super accurate 38 with light loads is a fun gun to shoot squirrels and other small game as well as varmits. Doesn’t tear up meat and hide like a 357 does. I’ve shot many a squirrel and rabbit with K22s & K38s with WC Target loads. Does a good job of thumping coons and possum and much better on snakes than shot caps.

Sevens

52's make a fantastic field gun. 5+1 works for me... especially when running a pistol where the "1" is really all that matters.

Drm50

1st shot is the one that matters but always trying to get the edge. Have just finished decking out a M41 for field carry. 5” lite barrel and Herret 1911 type grips and a shortened mag release. I figure life is to short to keep these for range guns. Might as well get some use out of them.
3f9b666beb40c06cc94835ad9fdb02ca.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gnappi

Back in the 80's I had a 52 and I cut down .38 brass to around 9mm length and loaded 125 and 139 grain LRN's for it. The 52 fed them beautifully.

steve a.

Many years ago - probably 30 or more - I looked at a new 52 at the local gun shop. Really liked the gun - had no experience with semi automatics - and was ready to buy the gun and then looked at the prices of wad cutters and walked -- what a stupid mistake.