S&W Model 41

DennisE

Folks: I just purchased a fine, unsed S&W 41 with a 7" barrel (and a muzzle break that goes out another inch or so)and two magazines in the original box. It has a serial number of 9XXXX. Does anyone know what year it might have been produced in? Regards, Dennis

Hard Ball

Try the TFL forum" Harley Nolden's Institute for Firearms Research' I have gotten some very good information there.

terridarri

DennisE, there should be dash and a number after the 9xxxx and then someone should be able to help you out.

------------------
WHEN IT COMES TO FRIENDS THE SKY IS NOT THE LIMIT

sks

Good gun. My Dad has been trying to find one for some time and they are scarce. I'm sure that you will enjoy it for many moons.

------------------
The best weapon for self defense is the one you have when the need arises!

Nukem

No, but see if it's got a loaded chamber indicator on the back of the slide. It's a little red piece of metal that protrudes when loaded. This is what will tell you if it's an early model or not, since the comps can be added.

DennisE

Nukem: H1! I don't see a little red piece of metal on the slide. Terridarri, hi! There is no dash and no additional number beyond the 95XXX. Regards, Dennis

singleshot

You have the first version Model 41. These were made between 9/13/57 and 9/29/60. The first gun was serial number 1401 and progressed from there. My guess is that yours was made near the end: 59 or60.

mcshot

The 41 is an engineering marvel and they are incredible shooters. Mine will outshoot many .22 rifles I've shot.

------------------
"Keep shootin till they quit floppin"
The Wife 2/2000

Harley Nolden

Staff In Memoriam
Oleg:
Muzzlebreak on 41 Smith:
I shot this gun for many years, intl/three gun, and found that the muzzle break, during rapid fire matches, was effective to maintain target integrity during recoil. The muzzle never came out of the "X" ring, as it did without it.

There are even muzzle breaks on some intl. Rapid fire (.22 Cal short) pistols. (5 shots, 4 seconds from the ready position. (arm @ 45 degree angle, tgt faces, 5 shots fired at five separate tgts.)

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited July 02, 2000).]

DennisE

Thanks everyone for the insights. Citizen X on the Nolen Institute page says my gun was manufactured in 1967. Any other insights appreciated. I got a chance to shoot 100 rounds of T22 Target (Winchester) ammo through it and was very, very pleased with the old warhorse. Regards, Dennis