S&W Model 41 ??

dalpra

I've been considering adding a Model 41 to my collection (a shooter, of course) and I was wondering if some of these pistols are "better" than others. Was there a period when the quality suffered for some reason and the guns are not as accurate as others made during a different period? For example, High Standard collectors generally consider the Hamden, CT. guns to be of better quality than the later E. Hartford guns.

I've seen some M-41s available which state A-prefix serial numbers, cocking indicators or other traits, but lack of knowledge of the history of this model leaves me scratching my head. Any M-41 owners or afficionados have any suggestions? TIA.

K-9

As a rule,the older ones will cost a bit more than the later (1984- present). The A-prefix models started around 1970 and continued to around 1984. Production started in 1954. Those older models can get pricey if they have their barrel weights, cocking indicators,muzzle breaks,extendable front sights. As far as any particular years of production being better shooters than others,I don't know if there's any appreciable difference in feel or performance between them. You need to ask an accomplished Bullseye shooter about that. Every one I've shot is so accurate,it's almost boring to shoot with 2 hands. Built like tanks,the slides feel like they're on ball bearings,great triggers,excellent iron sights. Pick up a copy of the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson,more detailed info there. An interesting read. That's enough of my ramblings now. My 4 cents.

sw627pc

For a shooter, get one of the newer ones. The old ones are beautiful, but the price is going up almost daily. The newer guns shoot just as well. I would advise getting a magazine loading tool though (little plastic gizmo that holds the follower down). The magazine design was invented by a sadist who HATED fingertips.

Both have their pluses.

The old ones with their muzzle breaks and extensive counter weights just have a look and feel that the newer guns don't. I don't think that they shoot any better but, well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I just like them. I would certainly be willing to go the extra cost.

Newer ones have no muzzle breaks nor counter weights but some of the recent ones have been drilled and tapped for scope mounts. If a scope appeals, that would be the way to go. I personally don't know how you spot a gun that has been drilled and tapped but I know that they are out there.

Then there is the question of barrel. There are several sizes. Also there was at least one really weird one. 5 inch barrel, as I recall, but with a front sight that could be extended out to something like 9 inches. That was strange.

There was also, I think, a 22 short adapter kit. And then there was the model 46.

Smith still catalogues this gun but my understanding is that it is about to be dropped. Too expensive for most buyers.

Hope this helps!