S&W Model 39-0 Disassembly

Bent Brass

****I know, I know. It's not a Model 39-0. I just needed to distinguish it from the 39-2 posts.****

Need to completely disassemble a S&W Model 39. Not a -2. It's a nice four-digit serial number, non-"Pre-39" model stamped "Mod 39". Has the original single-piece, unpinned, wide extractor. Probably from about 1957.

The thing is, all the references i can find show how to take apart the 39-2, which has a significantly different slide disassembly.

Have it field-stripped of course, but i want a complete disassembly for cleaning/lubing, etc. before it disappears into the collection.

Can anyone point me to a reference for completely disassembling this particular model?

Thanks in advance.

Ed4032

The biggest difference is the extractor. Not sure if there is that much more of a difference. I have a four digit-0 also. I have stripped it down and even replaced the extractor myself.

RickB

I have a NRA disassembly guide from the '50s/'60s, and will post the pages covering the 39.

Attachments

• 39 diagram.jpg
    39 diagram.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 39 disassembly1.jpg
    39 disassembly1.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 39 disassembly2.jpg
    39 disassembly2.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Can't help instruction, other than send you to the NRA disassembly guide, but I am curious why you "need" to disassemble it. From what you posted, you don't need to, you just want to.

Unless the gun has been submerged in something corrosive, there is rarely a "need" for complete disassembly, and the majority of civilian guns (including those intended for the police market are not designed with complete disassembly in mind. there are lots of different spray or dunk cleaners that will flush out crud, and leave a protective coating.

(to me, complete disassembly means detail stripping, disassembly of all parts not permanently attached to the frame, or each other, with the exception of some things, like dovetailed sights, etc.)

If you're looking to prep it for long term storage, I'd use one of the spray / dunk products followed by preservative oil and consider wax for the outside coating.

Good Luck

Bent Brass

Thanks to every one who responded, especially RickB for the NRA diagrams. Those will be helpful.
Yes, i want to disassemble the gun. Down to the frame. Standard practice for any used purchase for me.
The original 39 had a (probably undeserved) reputation for breaking extractors. I plan to replace the orig with an aftermarket ( https://jackfirstinc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=11696 ) for general shooting, and keep the irreplaceable original part safe.
Sorry for the late response, but i was unaware there had been responses to my request. I thought i would get a notification of there had been. Maybe i need to change my profile settings.