S&W Model 37

4570Tom

Saw a nice S&W 37 at the local gun store. Was wondering what people's impressions and experience with this model are.

BillCA

The model 37 is the airweight version of the Model 36 Chief's special. The frame is an aluminum alloy while the barrel and cylinder are steel.

If you have to carry a gun day in and day out with low odds that you'll need to use it, the 37 is fine. But their light weight make them difficult to shoot accurately due to the recoil, especially with +P ammo.

Most of these guns are not really rated for +P ammo unless it is a model made after about 1991. Use of +P ammo has been known to cause frame stretching which leads to a "loose" gun. In the 60's and 70's we referred to them as "Carry lots, shoot little" type guns.

With all that said, they're fine, reliable guns of excellent quality. But they are not mean to see 200 rounds a week through them either.

The model 37 also makes an excellent back-up gun. The light weight eases the burden of carrying a 2nd gun.

Teuthis

Why use +P in a light revolver? Use watcutters. They are practical and effective. And you can control the recoil using them. Putting your shots where you need to is much more important than having some goosed up, hot rounds.

Elvishead

I hate the front sight (80-83 model) but I love the gun. I got a low mileage model for $250 last year, but it does show holster wear, so I give it an 80%.

beachbummm

Mod 37 dating?

I got a very nice Mod 37 Snubby from an estate sale. its in great shape Im trying to date it the serial number is J59XXX, any idea as to its value (paid under $200 so I know its a deal) Thanks

velocette

I have a S&W 637-2 in my pocket now. It's nestled in a Mika pocket holster. This is where it resides almost every day, all day. Using +P ammo, and by that, I mean Buffalo Bore 158 gr. +P, the recoil is unpleasant, not uncontrollable, unpleasant. The revolver is rated for +P ammo but gets fired with it only occasionally. I have in my safe, an M 37 chiefs special, with a 3" barrel & sq. butt. I think it is one of the - - I hate to use the word pretty to describe a firearm, but the revolver just looks RIGHT. Properly proportioned if you will. It is NOT +P rated. It gets stuffed with any standard factory ammo that I can find and my reloads that are not +P. I would never shoot any ammo that would damage this revolver.

However I must add this note. If The M37 was the only revolver I had and I had to carry it as a regular CC piece. It would be stuffed with Buffalo Bore +P ammo. My life is worth more than a revolver, no matter how much I like the revolver. I can practice with the softer stuff and deal with whatever happens if it ever happens with the stout BB loads.

Roger

firearms12-07037.jpg