S&W Model 36: can it handle +P loads?

selfdefense4me

I recently was given an early 1960's vintage S&W Model 36 snubnose revolver that has hardly been used (maybe 200 rounds total fired through it).

I know the gun is rated for 38 Special loads. I'd like to know if anyone experienced with this gun thinks it can handle +P loads.

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kentucky Rifle

I called S&W about this very thing. They told me that the early 36's were not rated for +P ammunition. They did tell me that a few +P's (not a steady diet) would "probably" be OK.
However, I wouldn't use +P. Maybe someone else has a different opinion.

Will

ellsworthtoohey

I've got a model 49 that I purchased in 1991. It is not rated for +Ps either. However, I have fired several thousand rounds of +Ps and equivalent reloads through it and it is still as tight as it was the day I bought it.

It only stands to reason that, if aluminum alloy frame j-frames are rated for +P, and steel framed j-frames can handle .357s, whay can't a steel frame handle +Ps?

Daryl Waldron

I have ask this same question on other boards and all have told me they would not use +P. The main reason is it will acclerates the wear and tear on your revolver.

Jay Baker

Plus Ps

If you like those rounds for self defense, carry them in your Mdl. 36. Practice A LOT! with regualr rounds, then shoot a few Plus Ps so you know where they hit at about 10 yards, and stoke it full of Plus Ps. You'll not have to worry about your revolver being battered.

In reality, in a self defense situation, accuracy and determination are the two most important things.

JMHO. J.B.

Good Guy

I remember Elmer Keith saying that the 5 shot 38 snubbies like the Model 36 were actually quite strong little guns. This was due to the cylinder having offset bolt cuts, and the short forcing cone protrusion out of the frame of the Model 36 left very little barrel material unsupported. I shoot +P in my M36 whenever I feel the need.

The older M36s and equivalents are not rated for +p ammunition. I believe that thanks to different metalurgy or heat treatment, the newer ones are.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
While 4V50Gary may well be correct about the metallurgy, I agree with Jay Baker. Practice with standard stuff, use +P for carry loads.

Most all guns have enough of a safety factor built into them than an occasional--and I emphasize "occasional" hot load won't hurt. And +Ps aren't *that* much hotter...

FWIW, Art

Rusty S

After my dad died (25 years ago) I took his flatlatch Chiefs out and put a box or two of Supervel thru it. Gee, it was nice and tight the last time I shot it, and now it's loose as a goose?

Wrong thing to do, and sure wish I'd known then what I know now. That was the gun that was seldom out of his reach. In my young and stupid mode I traded it instead of having it tightened.

Rusty

By the way...

the newer M36s are etched +p on the inside of the topstrap. You can call "the company whose name may not be spoken" for confirmation.

Doncha just love The Thirteenth Warrior?

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Practice with normal .38 spcl's. However, if you're carrying it, carry +p. When you have to use it in a self defense situation, I dont think you'll worry too much about the wear and tear of your pistol.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
For those loath to put older snubbies and alloy frames through all that stress with hot ammo, there's an alternative, tho it seems not to be very popular.

The NRa did some tests years ago, before the current crop of high performance ammo came along, and found that target wadcutters were one of the more effective loads from short bbls. The full bore, flat nose aided energy transfer, the soft lead deformed easily,and the low recoil aided accuracy while the low price encouraged practice.

ellsworthtoohey

Well, I took my old model 49 to the river today and shot up 250 rounds loaded with 4.0 grains of Unique, standard primers, and 158 gr. cast bullets. I also shot up 30 or 40 rounds of old factory +P with 125 gr. and 158 gr. bullets.

She is still as tight as she was out of the box.:p

Torpedo

Handle +P loads

I agree with J Baker. I have an older model 36 that I carried for many years. I practiced with Wadcutter ammo and carried Super Vel 110 Grain JHP's or Scorpion Hydrashock ammo for carry. I also sighted in the +P stuff at 10 Yards. That gun is still tight and functions flawlessly.

Speaking of wadcutters, as college kids we use to load our 148 gr HBWC upside down for home defense. Accurate enough at short range (but at 25 they tumbled) and probably devasting if struck by one.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
We did some testing back in the early 70s on the backwards HBWC,Gary. They shot well out of some revolvers but hit the target sideways(but in a tight group!)out of at least one. Probably good energy transfer there,limited penetration(G)..

Wet newspaper testing showed better expansion than the pre +P SWCHP.