S&W Model 34-1

JBriggs

Need some expert advice from the folks on the revolver forum. I recently purchased a S&W Model 34-1, pinned and recessed. The Serial Number is
M5XXX. Can anyone out there help me date this fine little sidearm? I have been told that S&W discontinued diamonds on the grips in 1967 to 1968. This little wonder does not have diamonds on the grips, but the small amount of infromation gathered thus far shows that the serial number is not in the 1967 to 1968 range. Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

carguychris

I don't have my reference sources handy, but IIRC S&W started using the "M" prefix in 1969 because the 1968 Gun Control Act took effect and prohibited them from reusing serial numbers within the same caliber. This forced S&W to add prefixes to this model line because they had started serial numbers for several .22-caliber models at "1" and simply counted upwards.

If my memory serves me about the prefix, the gun was probably built in 1969-1970 because the number is fairly low.
...pinned and recessed.
FWIW for a modern-era rimfire, "recessed" is nothing special; almost all post-1935 S&W rimfire revolvers have counterbored chambers, including today's production. This is done as a safety measure in the event of a case-head blowout.

When collectors discuss "recessed" chambers, they are usually referring to K & N frame centerfire Magnums; this feature was discontinued in 1982 along with the barrel pins.

Last edited:

tekarra

I cannot add anything to what carguychris has said. However, the 63 is a great little revolver so take it out and enjoy.

tailchain

I have had mine for over 20 years and it is still my favorite little camping companion. They are just a joy to have on your hip as you enjoy the coming fall activities. Congrats on getting your hands on one, you will most certainly enjoy.

JBriggs

Thank you for all of the info. Appreciate your help. Once I got it to the range, Did discover it does have tight cylinders. Took a while to find the ammo it prefered- loves cci mini mags.

riomedinamike

Almost every 22 revolver I have owned (other than Ruger) has had what could be termed tight cylinders.

My solution has been to use stainless steel brushes with a little rubbing compound (such as mother's polish for auto wheels) and this works well for me.

Also, I use Ed's Red which keeps the cylinders well lubricated.

Good luck