S&W model 3 1880 Worth $100?

FlyFish

Looks to be a .32 Double Action 4th Model, manufactured from 1883 to 1909 in the serial number range 43406 to 282999. SCSW (now a bit outdated on prices) shows the value to be $100 in fair, $150 in good condition, which is where I think the gun is, recognizing that it's difficult to evaluate condition on these older guns from photos. So, assuming sound mechanical condition, $100 seems like a good deal. I'd certainly have it looked at by a gunsmith before shooting it, even with a comparatively anemic cartridge like .32 S&W.

dnovo

A bit of confusion on S&W designations. A Model 3 is a large frame SA. They are a whole different animal than what you found and prices -- and rarity -- are in another, and much higher ballpark. Dave

James K

Member In Memoriam
It is not a "number" anything. It is a .32 Double Action, Fourth Model. It is probably worth $100 if fully functional, but not a lot more due to the poor condition. If you are not in that area, note that those guns were made from 1883-1909, so it might be an antique (below 209300) that can just be shipped or it might be a modern gun that needs to be handled through an FFL. If the latter, better consider the dealer costs of handling the transfer in the price.

Jim

Winchester_73

It could potentially be a "Fifth Model" as well. A serial number would help.

If you look closely at the pics, you will see a front sight pin. This eliminates the 5th model since on the 5th model the front sight was made integral with the barrel.

dnovo

I agree with the last post, the sight is the giveaway. I also agree it ain't worth a whole lot. They are fairly common. Dave

gyvel

If you look closely at the pics, you will see a front sight pin. This eliminates the 5th model since on the 5th model the front sight was made integral with the barrel.

Yep, you're right; I didn't catch that.