S&W model 29-2 Some prebuy ???'s

superpelly

I have on hold at Scheels a S&W model 29-2 44 mag 6 1/2 in barrel, pinned and recessed. It does not come with a box, it has Houge rubber grips, and there is some bluing rub off on the cylinder (about 1/2 inch long and 1/4 wide, not sure what happen there,Looks like a water mark or something) Other than that the bluing on the gun is perfect. The cylinder is tight and no gap between the barrel and cylinder.

I'm assuming this gun came with wood grips?

The asking price is 549.00 ??????????

import-ant

I have one of these, love it. Did originally come with wooden grip (in a wood box). The bluing wear is the same on mine--holster draw wear probably. The price is suspiciously low. I'd buy it as fast as possible, after a good inspection....

aarondhgraham

Not a bad price,,,

This is the general price range as per the Standard Catalog of Firearms.

NIB Exc. V.G. Good Fair Poor
1500 1000 550 350 200 150

Hope this helps,,,

Jimmy10mm

A lot of those weren't fired much. If the owner was a reloader it may have been but the recoil with the factory ammo was not conducive to a lot of range time for the average shooter. The P&R guns are desirable but according to John Taffin in "Big Bore Sixguns" the 29s made since the '90s are stronger internally if you intend to shoot a lot of magnum loads with it.

Winchester_73

A fair price

Doesn't sound like a bad price but a correct grip (N frame target, non diamond) would be about $100. If its a mid 60s gun, it might have originally had a N frame target diamonds (not CBGs) which are more money. The 6.5 in barrel is very popular due to S&W stopping production of that length in the late 70s, and since its the Dirty Harry barrel length. I would perhaps pay the $549 if that was OTD but if not, I might pass on it. While the pinned and recessed guns are more sought after today than the later models, 29-2s are very common.