S&W model 29-2 - in Stainless ??

BigJimP

At the gun show today - a table owner and I got to talking / and he showed me a model 29-2, 6" pinned barrel, etc and it looked right - but in a matte finish stainless ( it was clearly not Nickel ) .....which I did not know existed ?

Anyone know anything about a stainless model 29-2 that was made for someone - a special run - anything ?? I have Nickel and blued model 29's ( and model 27's ) ...but I've never seen a matte finish stainless in a model 29 ...

Winchester_73

That description sounds like what the gun would look like if the the bluing or the nickel was completely stripped. A stainless version never existed, that is until the 629 came out. I'd stay away from it.

BigJimP

It isn't my gun / table owner at the gunshow bought it from another tableowner early saturday ... alledgedly for $ 500 .... / but for $ 500 I thought it was a great buy even if it was refinished.

I can't find any reference to one either .... he should probably go to S&W with the serial number and verify how it was made, when and where it was shipped.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

SwampYankee

Hard chrome is very nice. I suspect that the gun probably had some issues and hard chrome was a good solution. I doubt it was done to a perfect example of a 29-2. Assuming that the gun needed some help, you can't even really called it bubba'd. I recently had my beater security six hard chromed by Ford's and I have yet to even see a cylinder drag mark.

aarondhgraham

Hello SwampYankee,,,

If you don't mind me asking,,,
How much did Ford's charge to hard chrome your Ruger?

I have an old revolver that functions perfectly but is butt ugly,,,
I think it would look real nice with a shiny new coat.

Thanks,,,

BigJimP

I have 4 model 29's and a couple of model 629's .... ( and every gun I own, I shoot ) .... and I wouldn't call it a "bubba'd" gun either / but I'd like to know a little more about it too.

I will make it a point to go by this guys table next month ( since I know he paid $ 500 for it ) .... and make him an offer on it and see what he says .... I have enough "original condition guns" - that having another "shooter" in my collection really isn't a big deal - even if he lets me have it for $ 600 ... I'll probably jump on it, just for the heck of it.

If I pick it up / I will post some photos / and get some documentation, if I can, from S&W on what it really is.

SwampYankee

Ford's was running a holiday special ($40 discount) so the total came to $260 with shipping back to me. It cost me $70 to ship it to them UPS Overnight. I should have had my FFL send it to them USPS but did not realize how expensive it would be to ship until I got to the UPS shipping facility.

Ford's did a great job. They polished out all the pitting, were able to keep all the roll marks intact and parkerized the extractor and sight blade. Mind you, the pitting was not all that bad- I'm not sure what the results would have been from a severely pitted gun. The only issue was that it took 3 months to get it back to me. But Ford's prices are better than anyone else's I have found and I didn't mind waiting for the gun because I have plenty of others to play with...

mete

There's nothing wrong about hard chroming a gun especially if a stainless version is not available .However I'd like to know who plated it .A reputable, experienced gun plater fine but an unknown I'd be hesitant .

BigJimP

All good thoughts guys ...... but if he's willing to sell it for $ 600 / I'll still take it .....

If he wants $ 800 - $1,000 for it - he can keep it / regardless of who did the work on it !