S&W model 29-10 4" barrel any good?

JERRYS.

I have a 629-6, 4". while I am not a fan of the new locked S&W guns, I find that this one has a very smooth trigger but its a little on the stiff side in D/A.

I've seen the 629 prices around $700.

SaxonPig

I'm sure the 29-10 is OK and will do what you need it to do. Can't offer any help on pricing. True S&W aficionados still prefer the pre-1982 models with pinned barrels, recessed chambers, all forged parts and no locks.

standard.jpg

highpower3006

From all accounts the new S&W's are good guns. I don't own any of the newer production Smiths, but my old ones are still going strong.

One of my all time favorites is a 4" M29. Small enough to be out of the way while hiking, but big enough to give any critter a serious hurt. I have had this 29 no dash since the early eighties when I bought it used for $150. It will be one of the last guns I would ever get rid of.

IMG_1890-XL.jpg

Vet66

Well, I bit the bullet and, bought it. This revolver appears to be seldom fired, a real beauty. Came with the original case along with all the original contents. Also a box of ammunition (38 rounds) along with a as new Diamond "D" guide shoulder rig. I gave $600. out the door, I'm very happy with the deal. What say you?

M29-10-2_zpsmq0cbfos.jpg

Skeets

Member in memoriam
Congrats on your M29,a good deal on a great gun.Most of all,you're happy and that's what counts.Enjoy! :D

Frankly

Well, I bit the bullet and, bought it. This revolver appears to be seldom fired, a real beauty. Came with the original case along with all the original contents. Also a box of ammunition (38 rounds) along with a as new Diamond "D" guide shoulder rig. I gave $600. out the door, I'm very happy with the deal. What say you?

I have one exactly like it that I paid a little more for. I think you did real well on that deal. With good care it will never be worth less than you paid-- even if you shoot it a lot. Enjoy!

Vet66

back from the range......my brass and, bullets arrived. I went on the mild side to start with 11.5gr of Unique pushing a Hornady 200gr XTP bullet, what a sweet *****cat this load is with this Smith 44......I've not tried the rounds of 300 gr ammo that came with this revolver....I'm sure I understand why the box contained 38 rounds out of a box of 50. They just scream PAIN....I'll wait till I become more tuned to this revolver. What a sweet shooter. I'm very happy thus far.

TfflHndn

Nice find, and sounds like a good price. If it were me, I'd remove the beautiful wood stocks and put a set of Pachmeyers on it to help control the recoil. I did that with my M57 (.41 mag) and it made a big difference. If I have to sell it at some point, I can put the wood stocks back on or include them. I like the look but not the feel of the wood.

Vet66

Nice find, and sounds like a good price. If it were me, I'd remove the beautiful wood stocks and put a set of Pachmeyers on it to help control the recoil. I did that with my M57 (.41 mag) and it made a big difference. If I have to sell it at some point, I can put the wood stocks back on or include them. I like the look but not the feel of the wood.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing on the stocks. One thing that really surprised me was the trigger, this trigger is much smoother than on my 625-8 PC . This one is very predictable, the 625 performance center takes you by surprise, not good at times. Like them both, the M 29 is a real hand cannon though but, the 625 ACP will out point it though....only by a hair.

joed

I have a 29-10 MG that I picked up in a deal for $299 about 7 years ago. So, it has a lock, no big deal.

Mine shoots just as good as any other S&W I own. If I had a gripe it was the grips. They didn't fit me well and it hurt to shoot .44 Spl from the gun. I tried Hogue with no luck and finally went to S&W walnut presentation grips. It's joy to shoot now. With the grips you have I doubt you'll have problems.

Vet66

Honestly, I don't know why I avoided a 44 Mag for this long, got steered away by all the hype of it being brutal to shoot. What BS, I may be an old goat but, this revolver has no more push than a 20 gauge shotgun. Accurate, loud (heck yea) a real joy to shoot. I loaded some new rounds, using the same 200gr XTP bullet being pushed by 26.5 gr of H 110. Fantastic.....can I mention I love this
revolver. Next time I hear someone try to tell me they are too much to handle, I'll just chuckle to myself....yes, I will keep stepping it up. I will eventually get around to those 300 gr rounds that came with this gun. That will be a real joy.

Armybrat

Well vet66, there must be a lot of girlyguys around these days - my M29-2 is pretty comfortable to shoot for such a hand cannon. ;)

You got a great deal, and your Smith is a sweet lookin' wheelgun. Bought my 29-2 over 25 years ago -paid around $275:

guns025.jpg

Vet66

Just stepped it up today @ 28.0gr of H110.....can you say HOWDY...fantastic.
Doubt I'll ever have to use my log splitter again, just split them with this cannon. I've looked at the great revolvers posted by SaxsonPig, Highpower3006 and, Armybrat...great looking revolvers. Bank on this, I'll be looking for a 69-2 with a 6" tube next. All this I had missed for so long...no more, bring it on. My 357 is like a .22 now LOL.

joed

Leave the H110 and go to 2400, it's much more forgiving. You can load it up or down. I left H110 15 years ago and haven't looked back.

Vet66

joed. That's a beauty you have there. I would love to try 2400 powder but, seems it's not easy to find around these parts...I'll keep hunting for it. I see it works in my 586 .357mag and a few more according to my load manuals.